ABP hangs Opera on startup

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
Luxferre

ABP hangs Opera on startup

Post by Luxferre »

This is happening always when I open Opera 12.12.Same thing is with your competition - Adblock for Opera.Also there is conflict with
WOT extension.Opera Adblock in Opera 12.0.2 doesn't hang browser.Is this Opera thing or ABP fault?
Sorry about my English.
Luxferre

Re: ABP hangs Opera on startup

Post by Luxferre »

No responses?I installed Opera Adblock 0.56 in Opera 12.12 again with disabled updates in config.xml (in .oex file).
ABP is better but Opera Adblock is more stable.I'll wait until ABP is fixed.Don't get me wrong I like ABP
and I'm using it in Chrome and Firefox but Opera version is still work in progress I guess.

Post by Guest »

Luxferre wrote:I'll wait until ABP is fixed.
Yeah don't hold your breath there, buddy.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Luxferre wrote:Is this Opera thing or ABP fault?
Try checking if you have a profile problem (the folder that stores your personal data and preferences).
  1. Run the Opera installer.
  2. Click the Options button.
  3. Change the install path to somewhere other than the Program Files folder (e.g. C:\OperaPortable\).
  4. Choose Install for: Stand-alone installation (USB).
  5. Click the Accept and Install button to continue.
  6. Once you've started that version of Opera, install nothing but Adblock Plus and your filter lists in it.
Does the problem still occur?
Luxferre wrote:Opera version is still work in progress I guess.
:arrow: en/opera
We are currently working on providing the same experience for Opera as what you are used to from Firefox. Please keep in mind that we are not there yet and much work still needs to be done. There are also known Opera bugs and limitations that need to be resolved.
devnet

Post by devnet »

Ok...I think this is hanging because Fanboy's List...which is the default for Opera ABP, is at a different location now? I'm not sure. I know this...when I started up Opera and looked at ABP on a fresh install today...I saw that fanboy's list was failing to download.

Easylist is ok for an alternative but not as inclusive as fanboys...so I did some digging and found the list here: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/fanboy-adblock.txt

From there, I went into ABP and deleted fanboy's list...then added a custom list with the address above. It updates now and doesn't hang.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

devnet wrote:Ok...I think this is hanging because Fanboy's List...which is the default for Opera ABP
The list you're automatically subscribed to when first installing is random. So you might get Fanboy's List, or you might get EasyList. But that's irrelevant now, given that Fanboy's List is merging with EasyList:
Merging of Easylist and Fanboy | Fanboy's Adblock Forum
devnet wrote:is at a different location now?
You can find the full list of subscriptions at en/subscriptions. It's a bit tedious to use in Opera, because the ABP: subscription links don't work, so you have to subscribe manually. Fanboy's List is located at

Code: Select all

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/fanboy-adblock.txt
devnet wrote:It updates now and doesn't hang.
All's well that ends well.
Luxferre

Post by Luxferre »

Everything is OK now.I guess culprit was Malware Domains list.It is just too heavy for ABP
and Opera.I am using Fanboy-Easylist merger list,EasyPrivacy and Antisocial list.Also I copied
all custom filters from ABP Firefox.When webkit becomes Opera's rendering engine,ABP for
Opera should get better.