Opera 12

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
mega

Opera 12

Post by mega »

Please make Adblock Plus available and working for Opera 12, specifically 12.02.

I refuse to upgrade to the NuOpera chromium crap and prefer the Presto engine. I'm not the only one out there that agrees.

Chromium is not Opera, Opera 15, 18, 20, etc.. is NOT Opera; any moded release of Chromium will never be Opera even if the company and developers slap the name Opera on Chromium and market it as such. It's not Opera.
fanboy

Re: Opera 12

Post by fanboy »

You can't hold on to Opera 12 forever, in the same way some firefox users were hoping for extension support in Firefox 3.5/3.6.
Luxferre

Post by Luxferre »

With Opera 12.16 (and IE11) I am using AdFender and it is working fine.
mega

Post by mega »

fanboy wrote:You can't hold on to Opera 12 forever
YES, we can!

We will eventually get Opera to open source Presto.
fanboy wrote:firefox users were hoping for extension support in Firefox 3.5/3.6.
You are comparing Apples to Lima beans. Seriously. If you don't understand the difference between Presto and Chromium... then I don't need to say much else.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

mega wrote:
YES, we can!

We will eventually get Opera to open source Presto.
Unlikely. Its still being used by 3rd partys, so unlikely to change until for foreseeable future. So no open source.
mega wrote:
You are comparing Apples to Lima beans. Seriously. If you don't understand the difference between Presto and Chromium... then I don't need to say much else.
I was comparing Firefox and Opera users holding off upgrading older versions of their browsers, nothing about web browser engines. :?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

mega wrote:Please make Adblock Plus available and working for Opera 12, specifically 12.02.
That's impossible. The API for URL filtering wasn't added to Opera until 12.10. Therefore the minimum required version will never go below that. Also, you're better off running 12.16 as it contains not only security patches but fixes relating to add-ons being unable to save data properly.
http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1210/
V12

Post by V12 »

OK, I use Opera 12.17. I installed last AdBlock (v.1.3.4), but I can't see any new button or menu option, that allow me to block element from web page. How I can enter a new rule?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

The filter composer is only available in Adblock Plus for recent versions of Opera. In Opera 12.1x, you can only add filters manually. To do so, right-click the Adblock Plus icon and choose Preferences. In the Adblock Plus Options tab that opened, click the Add Your Own Filters tab.

If you want to block resources like images and external scripts,
  1. Right-click an empty area of the page and choose Inspect Element.
  2. In the Inspector pane, click the Resources button.
  3. Expand either the Scripts or Images category.
  4. Left click the item you want to block. The URL will be displayed on the right side. Copy this URL to the clipboard. You can either use it in Adblock Plus as-is, or preferably turn it into a more permissive filter. Example (original URL first, less specific blocking filter below):

Code: Select all

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3d/Mediawiki-logo.png/35px-Mediawiki-logo.png
    ||upload.wikimedia.org/*/35px-Mediawiki-logo.png
If you want to hide elements that are part of the web page (and therefore cannot be blocked),
  1. Right-click the element you want to hide and choose Inspect Element.
  2. In the HTML code display, look either for the element's id or class attribute. Example (id-based filter first, class-based filter below):

Code: Select all

wikipedia.org###mw-head
    wikipedia.org##.portal
For a more detailed explanation of Adblock Plus filters, see the documentation:
en/filters
en/filter-cheatsheet

Element hiding filters are comprised of the domain name (optional), followed by ## denoting an element hiding filter, then a CSS selector (#mw-head and .portal in the above example). For more details, see the selector reference:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... #Selectors