adblock works only in safari on mac os x... not in Opera :-(

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
ivan155

adblock works only in safari on mac os x... not in Opera :-(

Post by ivan155 »

I was always a user of Opera browser, but didn't use ADblock.
I decided to install it as I start using internet more, and more sites with ADs appeared.

I now use mainly Macintosh computer. I tried practially all kinds of browsers for Mac Os (see the full list of them in Wikipedia - mac-os browsers).
And I came to a very bad conclusion: ADBlock works only in Safari :-( I mean - works best - as it must work in any other browser.
what I mean by "works best"? I mean - if I go to some site, and ads are not blocked there - I must have a choice to block them also.
in Safari it works well - I click something like "block ad", then follow some "manager"/"wizzard", and sometimes ads are blocked.
some elements between <.*.> and </.*.> (instead of * must be same tag field id)...

so... I am unhappy with the situation. ADblock - as I see - is one of the most used extensions to block ads, but i don't see it work as it must...
maybe because it is develop as opensource and a free product? maybe.

what problems at moment I have:
- on Mac I have to run ms windows (I should use silent mac, but i need windows, so that's why I run older win, still it's enough for internet etc)...
I run Windows 2000 in Parallels desktop. I found out that adblock is not working well in windows 2000 (or xp). of course you can say it is old windows... but well - if it is licensed - we bought original genuine windowses - should i don't use it?
i installed safari 3.0.3 - it is old version of browser safari - an the last version of safari supported for windows 2000.
unfortunately, when I go to Safari extensions site - I see message - "you need at least safari 6 for adblock"... why? what is this?
i want older version of adblock - which works on win2000 or say xp will also do
though I like win2000 as best OS from Microsoft - it is more reliable than win 95, 98, Millnnium, xp, vista, 7 and even newer 8... it is like Server OS - win2000. so I like it and want to use it with adblock..

-well, i though - it is not a big problem if i don't use my favorite Safari (though as in Mac Os safari works best - so I thought it would also work best in win2000+ etc). no. it didn't work!
so I tried to install opera...
in Opera i have a same problem - for win2000 i use Opera 12.02 (it is the last version for win2000), but even when filters are installed - still ... banners are not blocked! why? and ofter (russian) filters are not loaded (same problem - "error fetching filters" I also have in all other browsers... so why not download them to local hdd, and load them from folder? let user downoad filters with download manager if ADblock can't download them reliably).

- on Mac os x I had a different problem - I also use older opera 12, installed there adblock - still banners - not blocked =-( but... i tried to enter manually a link of a filter (ru/ua) and it started to work... but I want same in Windows! (2000, or well, maybe xp is also ok)...

so this is problem!

If you can't solve it - then please make some simple resident program (just like it was in DOS - resident program, in windows - some process etc),
and let it work in background and filter all ads from any website! please!

I tried to install a couple of nice web-brosers in mac-os ... there are so many other alternative web-browsers - they can also work with Google mail, and other complicated technologies. but they do not have adblock...
i have a suggestion how to make it work for each browser ... - simply... make a program ADblock which runs as "proxy" or some "DNS-server" (like Metacert - 54.247.162.216)

if adblock works in same way as dns-server (proxy etc) - it would be very good!
then all ads will be blocked - in each program, in each browser...
and even more: if you can make this adblock-dns-server for something like Mac-os,
then if I run a guest virtual OS - windows 2000 etc - this will automatically use same filter even unknowingly ;-)
so if I use older win2000 as virtual pc, but on new mac os you can make some program which can block ads globally ( well, maybe it will be not dns server or not proxy, but some more simple service) - still it would be a solution for me ... please do something...

can you help in my situation?

or should i try alternative programs which will... still use filters from adblock... convert them and do a lot of extra work (multiplying software)?...

and actually... what I'ld like you to do... let us - users to block any part of webpage...
your "slider" - block more or less - doesn't work well!

even in safari...
I click - "block ad"... a windows appears - "click on part of page where is ad etc"...
I select it... but even this "selector" is not precise do you understand?

Compare what you do with those features like "see a source code of webpage"...
you should allow user to see a source code - yes - to find beginning <.*ad*..> tag
and ending </*ad*> tag...

program can't do it well...
you try to make it like Artificial intelligence - but it doesn't work well!
let user do it - check each step of program adblock...

well, I know some programming - visual basic only - i know adblock is open source...
but if it is written in not VB ( i think in java script?) - i can't do it manually to change the code to solve the problem... unfortunately...
thought I 'ld like to do it...

your engine is nice - to check what is on page , and filter any part of it - just click and make settings...
but it is not perfect. I see it more or close to perfect only in safari (mac os, on win it doesn't work i think because Apple safari is a "foreigner" for MS.).

ok, I wrote a lot of my thoughts...

please suggest me anything

i like the idea of ADblock and I want it to work better.

(thank you in advance)
mapx

Re: adblock works only in safari on mac os x... not in Opera :-(

Post by mapx »

if you want to have adblock plus in opera you have to install at least opera 12.16 - 12-17 ==> ABP 1.3.4 (the last for the "old" opera)
for the new opera chromium you can install the last ABP (1.8.3)