Explain How To

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
Remist

Explain How To

Post by Remist »

I`m having problems here. I just want to find somewhere on Adblock Plus that tells me how to set the thing going properly. e.g
a) Blockable item are listed but do I have to manually block them or are they automatically blocked?
b) I want annoying web pages blocked. How can I get this done?
c) What`s with filters. Are n`t they provided, or must I select some?
d) Do I need specific extensions?
I can`t find anything on the Adblock Plus web page or after installation that simply details this.
Thanks for any help
Gingerbread Man

Re: Explain How To

Post by Gingerbread Man »

If you have appropriate filter lists or custom filters, then items are automatically blocked.

Adblock Plus will never block the top-level URL (what you see in the address bar). If you want to create custom filters that block things, click the Adblock Plus icon, then Options, then the Add Your Own Filters tab. If you want to create filters that hide things, it's simpler to click the Adblock Plus icon, then Block Element.
en/filters
en/filter-cheatsheet

By default, you're subscribed to EasyList, which blocks ads on English pages. You also have the Adblock Warning Removal List, which gets rid of "disable your ad blocker" messages. The latter is disabled until you accept the prompt to enable it; you can also enable it by clicking the Adblock Plus icon, Options, then Filter Lists.
You can add other subscriptions, like those for non-English pages, EasyPrivacy which blocks trackers, Fanboy's Annoyances which blocks annoying things and social media, and so on.
en/subscriptions

I don't understand the question. Adblock Plus itself is an extension. If you use Firefox, there are additional extensions that work with Adblock Plus, like Element Hiding Helper. None of them are required.
Remist

Re: Explain How To

Post by Remist »

Thanks Gingerbread man an excellent reply.
I don`t see why this info can`t be detailed by Adblock Plus. I asked them a question and they replied it was best to just go to Forum and search.
Remist