Adblockplus won't disable itself (whitelist not working)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
chris100100

Adblockplus won't disable itself (whitelist not working)

Post by chris100100 »

I genuinely want to support the good sites that won't shove 5 ads on a page then throw in a pop up window, but for some reason I cannot disable adblockplus on any sites. Sure I can click the icon and it will say it's disabled, but the site's lack of ads tell me otherwise. I checked the whitelisted domains too and sure enough the sites I want ABP to be disabled on are in there.

I'm using Opera version 38.0.2220.31 on Windows 10
mapx

Re: Adblockplus won't disable itself (whitelist not working)

Post by mapx »

- reset opera, reinstall ABP
- then provide an example page / site you want to whitelist
neil-jp

Re: Adblockplus won't disable itself (whitelist not working)

Post by neil-jp »

mapx wrote:- reset opera, reinstall ABP
- then provide an example page / site you want to whitelist

I have the same problem.

Does it matter than I'm running WinXP and Opera?

Are there any other methods to deal with this problem? This "Reset Opera" instruction sounds invasive, which isn't acceptable.

How about if we start by submitting a url, you check it out, and see if you get the same problem?
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/symantecs-woes-expose-antivirus-software-security-gaps//

If you visit there with AdBlocker active, their webpage will periodically get covered with their anti-adblocker noodge. The work-around is that by hitting Ctrl-r, the noodge goes away for a minute. If you whitelist their domain, the noodge keeps occurring, anyway.

Regarding your minimalist instructions, what does "Reset Opera" mean? "Minimalist," because that's not a standard menu function on Opera. Is this instruction a documented sure-cure, or is it just a help-more-than-hurt boilerplate answer for an add-on function that doesn't work? Even before suggesting that it's the website's problem, that the problem is on wired.com's end, you'd recommend to the user that he / she Reset Opera??

Does everyone that wants the Whitelist to be an active function need to go through the routine of "resetting opera" and "reinstalling ABP?" If it only happens to some computers, does anyone know why?

In summary, what's the status of the Whitelist function? Is it a widespread problem? Is there hope that it can me made to work for everyone without needing to Reset Opera and reinstall ABP? I mean, I already installed Opera and installed ABP once...