Memory consumption

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
Floppy 312

Memory consumption

Post by Floppy 312 »

I noticed that the adblock process uses about 70 MB of RAM. This is by far the most memory consuming process running on my device. It would be great if there was a way to reduce memory consumption in future releases.

Thanks for the great work, devs!
meldroc

Re: Memory consumption

Post by meldroc »

I'm seeing this too - the app's using 60+ MB of RAM, which cripples my HTC G2!

I can't use this if it's hogging that much RAM!
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Performs fine on the GS3 and the Note 10.1 here
fhd

Post by fhd »

ABP for Android is definitely heavy on the memory right now, sorry for that :(

I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to do something about that though.
Floppy312

Post by Floppy312 »

fhd wrote:ABP for Android is definitely heavy on the memory right now, sorry for that :(

I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to do something about that though.
That's great to hear! Thanks again for the great work.
notgeorge

Post by notgeorge »

Love ABP! Works great on my computer, but it is crap on my phone, alas! I am happy it works on many phones. For my Droid 3, the memory drain caused all sorts of problems (eg, it made all my audio players splutter) and it did not filter ads, so sadly, I had to uninstall it. Along those lines, I could find no way to turn ABP off when I was away from WiFi, so the memory suck continued even when it wasn't supposed to be working! Even Task Killer would not make it stop. Maybe a future edition can have it automatically shut down when WiFi is not available?
I think the ABP team is great, and I really admire your work. :D I offer these observations in the hope that this helps to make it better, not just to be critical. I will look forward to future developments, but for now, it's uninstalled, and my phone works much faster, w/ ads, but no glitches (btw, it glitched paid apps w/ no ads, like Winamp & Poweramp). Could it be that ABP is only for newer phones w/ better CPUs and more RAM?
Wishing you all the very best! Thanks again for ABP! :D
meldroc

Post by meldroc »

I'm trying it again on my HTC/T-Mobile G2, this time using version 1.0.1, fresh off of Google Play.

It's consuming 38-42MB of RAM (it varies), rather than 60+, according to Running Services, which is an improvement.

Any way of shrinking that down? That's still rather large.
meldroc

Post by meldroc »

After using AB+ 1.0.1 on my phone for a few hours, RAM consumption has again grown to 70+ MB of RAM.

Unacceptable.

Developers, please fix this! I think you've got a severe memory leak! For memory-constrained smartphones, this is a HUGE bug, in a program that's designed to force itself to remain in memory at all times. FIX IT!!!
Andrey Novikov

Post by Andrey Novikov »

No, we do not. It's due to complex application architecture. But we are looking into the way to reduce memory consumption.
StuartM

Post by StuartM »

I'm up at 95MB just a couple of days after downloading it for the 1st time. I do virtually no browsing, have few apps and few with ads so it does not seem "use related". Trouble is my phone is now running real real bad.

Seems to work blocking stuff which is great but when phone becomes unusable ...

Sony Xperia Sola ICS

Any updates to address memory use would be great.

Stuart
fhd

Post by fhd »

StuartM wrote:I
Any updates to address memory use would be great.
We're working on it, but it's unfortunately somewhat difficult to profile. From what I've learned so far, the app and the V8 runtime account for about 20 MB. The bulk of that memory is just used by Adblock Plus. I'm rather optimistic that we can do something about that, but first we'll have to be able to properly profile this. Working on that.
XperiaTx

Post by XperiaTx »

Same problem on my Sony Xperia Tx which got only around 200MB of RAM available to app. Probably due to the large memory consumption, ABP crashes frequently on my phone and when this happens it kills the data connection as well, requiring a restart of ABP and sometimes a phone reboot.

Hope that this can be solved in future otherwise the app will only be suitable for tablets or high end Android phones with large amount of free RAM.
2ndHouse

Post by 2ndHouse »

Is it supposed to take 60-80 MB of RAM on a rooted device also? It's pretty heavy on resources on my rooted Nexus 7. It seems the proxy service is running, is it supposed to be on a rooted device?
heyugg

Post by heyugg »

60-80meg of ram here too. kind of defeats the object of blocking ads.
heyugg

Post by heyugg »

oh and nexus 7 non rooted so its not your rooting to blame.