Data usage for ABP on Android

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
dalaranunion

Re: Data usage for ABP on Android

Post by dalaranunion »

Hello there I am having the same issue, I bought the tablet three weeks ago and My data sim Few days ago. I have wifi in both in my work and flat, and I use the tablet on 3G while im on my way home and this takes around 15minutes. My tablet says that i consumed 350 megabytes anfd my ISP says I have 650 megabytes available in my allowance this is definetly a problem, missbehave or a bug, that consumes traffic for no reason. I dont think that few email checks and few refreshes on a train departures gadget require that massive amount of data...
nexus7

Post by nexus7 »

halomaster wrote:
nexus7 wrote:I contacted my ISP after finding out ABP used 13gig of data in one week and VERIFIED the overusage.

UNINSTALLED this (cr)AP and telling the world to do the same.

It is not important to me if Android only reported 13 gigs of data but the cellular company had the correct usage. But if the cellular company verified it, then ADP really did burn 13 gigs.

I am not a fan of ads, but I will have to look for other options for Android if ADP continues this insane data usage.

Is there any way to fix this problem?
regardless if you believe what your device logs data usage or not, you should be more acute to any and every program that hogs data, connects to unsolicited and unwanted sites. since my uninstall of adblock, my android(s) have been acting more normal. battery life has come back and i couldn't be happier.

buh bye ad"blocker"
xanji

[data usage] Absolutely disappointed

Post by xanji »

So I downloaded adblock for my Samsung Galaxy S4 because ive been having trouble with notification ads. Adblock was extremely helpful for me in the past for my computer, but it turns out the same does not apply to the android app.

Once I downloaded adblock from their site for my phone, I went with the list that was recommended - EasyList. After a few hours I thought I had it working and the ads stopped, but then I got another ad just like before the app was even installed.

Okay, so I figured I wasn't on the right list. After trying every list, I was still getting ads.

I left adblock on my phone as I looked for other solutions, and eventually got something called Lookout. That worked like a charm and I found out one of my themes was causing the ads.

But none of that bothered me. Adblock ran in the background for the next few days as I figured i would keep it to block browser ads. Then I got a message from AT&T saying 90% of my data was used up. I looked at which app was using data..

Adblock had used 3.5GB of my mobile data in a span of three days just by running in the background. I received no warning from adblock that this was even possible.

So now I can't use data for the rest of the month and I'm out $20 paying for extra data I didn't need. Really pissed. Thanks adblock.

PLEASE INCLUDE A FEATURE THAT WARNS USERS ABOUT ADBLOCKS HIGH DATA USAGE.
ngrrsn

Re: Absolutely disappointed

Post by ngrrsn »

This is disturbing news to me, and I would like some clarification as a new user.

Are you connected to the internet 24 hrs per day?
I would expect Adblocker to run only while you were actually online.
If it only runs while you are connected and visiting other sites, why is it using so much data?

I am on a limited data usage per month and this would really hamper my use of the internet.

NG
tst

Post by tst »

don't use this app.. it is a known bug that several people have reported and the adblock team refuses to believe. also, consider changing ur desktop ad blocker because the team is accepting money to show you ads. they're extorting companies this way
mapx

Post by mapx »

tst wrote: consider changing ur desktop ad blocker because the team is accepting money to show you ads. they're extorting companies this way
false: it's a feature you can disable
it's all about non-intrusive advertising (and again ... you can disable it)
xanji

Post by xanji »

ngrrsn wrote:This is disturbing news to me, and I would like some clarification as a new user.

Are you connected to the internet 24 hrs per day?
I would expect Adblocker to run only while you were actually online.
If it only runs while you are connected and visiting other sites, why is it using so much data?

I am on a limited data usage per month and this would really hamper my use of the internet.

NG
I simply have mobile data turned on which is normal and should not be the cause of this issue

Post by Guest »

Xeroday wrote:It only shows that on Android... if you contact your carrier or view your data usage on your carrier's website, it won't show that much
Wrong!!!
I have the same problem as many users here... My data usage is showing 1.5 gigs of data in just a couple of days, both on my cell phone and my carrier's website, while I barely surfed on the net for the last 3 days. This 1.5 gigs is more than 10 times the sum of data usage by all individual apps that have used data traffic !!!

This app is a great idea, but it is killing our data plan, so PLEASE FIX THIS BUG !!!
tst

Post by tst »

mapx wrote:
tst wrote: consider changing ur desktop ad blocker because the team is accepting money to show you ads. they're extorting companies this way
false: it's a feature you can disable
it's all about non-intrusive advertising (and again ... you can disable it)
nothing i said was false. adblock is asking money from companies to show you ads. it is extortion.
mapx

Re: [data usage] Absolutely disappointed

Post by mapx »

read again (and stop your OT comments)
en/acceptable-ads
xanji

Re: [data usage] Absolutely disappointed

Post by xanji »

Let's stay on topic here. I was charged in overages because of a bug in ABP that I was not notified of beforehand. All I'd like is a simple notice on the app that says this MAY happen and that users should be prepared. I would have kept a much closer eye on things if I had known. -.-
jolebole

AdBlock ate 1.5Gb of data in one day

Post by jolebole »

Installed it 2-3 weeks ago and yesterday in only one day ate 1.5Gb of my data plan. I don't know what triggered it since it was working fine and blocking all the ads including those from Youtube. I had to remove the app since I don't want this to happen again. Hope the developers will have a fix for this soon.

petep86

Re: AdBlock ate 1.5Gb of data in one day

Post by petep86 »

It didn't use up all ur data.. If u went to the FAQ page or did a search, u would have found ur answer.

For adblock to work correctly and to stop ads and pop ups, all the data has to run threw the app.. So even when u are watching YouTube, all the data goes threw the app, and then to the YouTube app.. Same for if u download something, it goes threw adblock and gets downloaded.. So that 1.46gb of data ur talking about, isn't just adblock, it is ur total data for that day ..
tst

Post by tst »

It's a well reported bug that has not been fixed. Due to data usage adblock should not be used on cellular networks

forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11790
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17934
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17712
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11849
jolebole

Post by jolebole »

petep86 wrote:It didn't use up all ur data.. If u went to the FAQ page or did a search, u would have found ur answer.

For adblock to work correctly and to stop ads and pop ups, all the data has to run threw the app.. So even when u are watching YouTube, all the data goes threw the app, and then to the YouTube app.. Same for if u download something, it goes threw adblock and gets downloaded.. So that 1.46gb of data ur talking about, isn't just adblock, it is ur total data for that day ..
I understand that the app passes all the data but this happened only once and no other app was showing to use all this data. The phone reported only AdBlock as the data user. I have streamed videos before but the phone reported the browser to be user of the data, not the adblock app.