Data usage for ABP on Android

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
labstud1

Data usage for ABP on Android

Post by labstud1 »

Hello,

Since installing the ABP Application on my Nexus 7 i have noticed the data usage is insane.
I a week its showing as using 3.42GB.

I have attached a few screenshots of the background data usage from my N7 running Android 4.2.1 rooted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gljtnpg9tjqq8 ... -30-34.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3qhs1flg32jd ... -30-46.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/roni0cm839r1y ... -43-16.png

I'm not sure if Android measuring the data usage wrong, or the app is really using that much data. If that's the case i need to remove it from my device, as i use a WiFi hotspot on my phone which is on a data plan.
Alfred

Re: Data usage for ABP on Android

Post by Alfred »

Sight...
Please read and investigate before posting.

en/android-faq

Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?
To filter ads, all traffic has to pass through Adblock Plus. Android considers this to be the traffic caused by the app, while it is in reality the sum of all traffic.
Handmade.Mercury

Post by Handmade.Mercury »

Someone needs to explain that to Verizon, because they currently consider APP traffic to be billable. I "surpassed my limit" in about an hour. I will send them an email later today.
VideoStreamer

Post by VideoStreamer »

Do you happen to be streaming media online on your Nexus 7? There is a bug with closing connections that wastes data, as I pointed out here:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11790

I haven't got a response about it yet.
Handmade.Mercury

Post by Handmade.Mercury »

Yeah, I saw your posts after I posted this. I'm not using a Nexus 7, but a Galaxy Nexus. But I did stream some videos, and did do some skipping, so I think that what you found is what happened to me. If that really is the case, then that is one nasty bug that could potentially cost someone a lot of money if they don't have data notifications enabled.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Methinks ABP should have the option to allow video traffic to bypass the proxy while using a cellular network.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Customer Relations f7.

Post by Customer Relations f7. »

Nobody gets charged extra for the data shown as used by ABP .. you aren't understanding it correctly .. your not using any more data than if you uninstalled ABP.

Your network sees the same total of used data! regardless of the fact it traveled through ABP.
dptb

Post by dptb »

I have read all your material but...Something strange has happen though. I've been using adblock plus with no problems for a month now but yesterday night suddenly it shows an increase in usage of 1gb when my average consumption is just a few Mega every day. Something strange has happened.
mmostace

Post by mmostace »

Customer Relations f7. wrote:Nobody gets charged extra for the data shown as used by ABP .. you aren't understanding it correctly .. your not using any more data than if you uninstalled ABP.

Your network sees the same total of used data! regardless of the fact it traveled through ABP.
The previous statement is not true. I am being accounted for using 65MB that ABP used on my phone, which is not "real" data used.

Anyone has any recent updates on this issue?

I just, just opened my usage through my cellphone provider and it states yesterday I used 65MB out of my mobile network, which is insanely high, considering I just use the mobile for checking the bus time or to check my email. I never used videos while on the go and rarely will check facebook on the bus as well. So I could say daily I use around 1MB.
So I checked the date and time (july 5th @1.33pm) and the amount of 65MB.

I decided to check my usage on the phone to give me an idea what happened (I thought maybe because I kept my phone in my pockets, youtube could have accidentally launched?), and that s when I noticed ABP, 65MB!!

So I am taking that my cell provider is using the info read by the phone as "usage" and charging me for it?
Onihonker

Post by Onihonker »

I had the same problem. ABP used all of my data, in my case it was 6GB, within a week for the month of June 2013.

My cell phone provider Telus will charge me if I go over this cap.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Onihonker wrote:I had the same problem. ABP used all of my data, in my case it was 6GB, within a week for the month of June 2013.

My cell phone provider Telus will charge me if I go over this cap.
forum/viewtopic.php?p=78647#p78647
d801d

Post by d801d »

ive read the faqs abt usage and i am a firm believer there is something in adblock that is usuing up data at an alarming rate. it took me 2 weeks to go through abt 1.5 gig data using my phone quite heavily streaming music and using internet...not much video or youtube. i installed ABP android and went through another 1.8 gigs in 48 hrs! my phone habits had not changed one bit while using ABP.. i quickly uninstalled the program and wont be back until something is done or atleast the problem is recognized.. 1.8 gigs is allot and def is not just extra heavy usage over that time...

i am on a rooted nexus 4 on t-mobile
Xeroday

Post by Xeroday »

It only shows that on Android... if you contact your carrier or view your data usage on your carrier's website, it won't show that much
nexus7

Post by nexus7 »

I contacted my ISP after finding out ABP used 13gig of data in one week and VERIFIED the overusage.

UNINSTALLED this (cr)AP and telling the world to do the same.
halomaster

Post by halomaster »

nexus7 wrote:I contacted my ISP after finding out ABP used 13gig of data in one week and VERIFIED the overusage.

UNINSTALLED this (cr)AP and telling the world to do the same.

It is not important to me if Android only reported 13 gigs of data but the cellular company had the correct usage. But if the cellular company verified it, then ADP really did burn 13 gigs.

I am not a fan of ads, but I will have to look for other options for Android if ADP continues this insane data usage.

Is there any way to fix this problem?