Intermittent Connection Problems

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
adblocker776

Intermittent Connection Problems

Post by adblocker776 »

I'd like to start a thread for discussing and troubleshooting connection troubles on various devices.

I have installed Adblock Plus on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII running Android 4.1.2. I am quite happy with the ad blocking. It seems to block nearly all web advertisements and most adverts in apps. Occasionally, though, I seem to have rather generic connection issues. Here is a list of the most common issues:
-Google Play complains that there is "no connection" and shows a retry button. Sometimes, a "triangle with an exclamation point" icon also appears in the notification bar. This often happens when downloading apps or visiting the page for a specific app. Repeatedly tapping "retry" when it appears usually fixes the issue.
-Google Chrome sometimes shows a blank white page instead of the intended website. Tapping "refresh" often doesn't work.
-Gmail shows a "no connection" error or similar when refreshing the inbox or sending mail.

The issue with Google Play is, by far, the most common issue I am experiencing. The Google Chrome error happens quite infrequently, especially compared to how often it once happened. In all of these cases, it is not uncommon to see the app "loading" for a long time before eventually returning the error.
Anon

Re: Intermittent Connection Problems

Post by Anon »

Can confirm all of these issues on a N4 running 4.2.2.

Additionally, apps that have to access the web to get settings (G+ notification settings, Google Maps settings) will occasionally fail to load, freezing the app until timeout or close.
lowtone

Post by lowtone »

Running HTC One on Android 4.1 (Stock) AT&T. Same exact issue
tm19

Post by tm19 »

Exact connection and retry problems with Google Play using Adblock Plus on stock, unrooted Nexus 7 (WiFi-only edition).
dialMformonkey

Post by dialMformonkey »

Identical issue on a non-rooted/upgraded Galaxy Note 10.1. Additionally, I get frequent timeouts in any browser and most pages will need 2 to 3 attempts. The only place I haven't seen errors is Amazon's app store.
mrjlturner

Post by mrjlturner »

Same issue here on non-rooted nexus 7... as soon as I turn off proxy settings issue goes away. Something is wrong with the abp service :(
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

Similar here with Kindle Fire HD, can connect to Amazon app store but upon looking at various apps apps or searching for something the app store just shows a blank page, turning off abp allows me full access, same with websites, I find I'm turning off abp more often than not to allow me access to the site as it either doesn't load fully or doesn't load at all. Tbh I'm seriously thinking of removing it & living with the ads.
SL

Post by SL »

Same problem here, ABP often closes either allowing ads through or blocking the connection meaning it needs to be restarted.

Every app also has terrible connection problems often timing out and needing to be reloaded. Play store, amazon and my browser.

Its also incompatible with firewalls as firewalls just see the data as coming from ABP.
mm

Post by mm »

I gave this problem with youtube
Loosing connection
Did any ine find a solution
The only reason i wanted ad block was ti remove you tube annoying ads but now you tube looses connection each time i search or tap to view a video i have to press try again
mm

Post by mm »

I gave this problem with youtube
Loosing connection
Did any 0ne find a solution
The only reason i wanted ad block was ti remove you tube annoying ads but now you tube looses connection each time i search or tap to view a video i have to press try again
Obdulio

Post by Obdulio »

Same for me with Adblock Plus on and proxy server configured properly causes the internet to stop working on my Galaxy Note 2 until i remove the proxy server.
Person

Post by Person »

Same intermittent Play, Voice, GMail connectivity issues on Nexus7 with 4.2 or 4.3 stock and Galaxy S3 4.2.2 stock. Can we get an official response please ?
puppetx

Post by puppetx »

I too am having these problems.

Even the latest Dev build 1.2.2.269 seems to have this problem.

It's especially annoying in youtube, sad. :cry:
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

I've now removed abp as it was blocking my av software (Lookout) from connecting to the servers to obtain updates, also too many times I was having to close it just to actually visit a website. Not exactly good.
n7user

Post by n7user »

I have the same problem on my nexus 7 2013. I am experiencing this with the Play Store and Google +.

A fix would be to somehow bypass the Proxy for those Apps, but I don't know how to do that.

At the moment I have ABP disabled per default and I only enable it for extremely annoying websites...