Disable Unknown Sources after Install??

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
dallas7

Disable Unknown Sources after Install??

Post by dallas7 »

Adblock Plus Android 1.1.2
Boxchip Allwinner A13 (Cortex A8) Tablet
Android 4.0.4 - Rooted

Once Adblock Plus for Android is successfully installed, is it OK to return to disabled for Unknown sources?

Thank you!
Last edited by dallas7 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Disable Unknown Sources after Install??

Post by MonztA »

I think you need to have it enabled for future updates of ABP for Android.
dallas7

Post by dallas7 »

Thanks for your reply!

But once installed on a rooted system, and permissions set by the install, that may or may not be necessarily true.

Considering the perceived security-critical nature of the Unknown sources setting, one would need more than speculation when making a decision. I think. :wink:

I'm disappointed a posting of serious technical nature has sat here for a week without any feedback from development or moderators.

Doesn't provide much motivation to click that Donate button...
dallas7

Post by dallas7 »

Wow. The silence is deafening! Hard to believe (or not) no one involved in this project cares. How sad.
davidz

Post by davidz »

Hudl2 tablet, Android 4.4.2. Affects all versions ABP, all versions Android?
I entirely agree with original posting. Its a hugely important issue and hard to find definitive answers. I installed ABP, but it wasn't clear whether it would continue to function after disable “unknown sources”. So, have now uninstalled it. Surely, ABP is useless if permanent “unknown sources” is required, as it will surely create more problems than it solves. Answers please!
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I thought it was blatantly obvious that if you need to enable Unknown Sources to install an app, you would need that setting enabled to update it, because the same connections are involved.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.