Suddenly most of ads are not being blocked.

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
proadblocker

Suddenly most of ads are not being blocked.

Post by proadblocker »

First of all, i would like to thank the developers for this great program.

i've been using it for about a month and it did a pretty good job blocking ads but suddenly it doesn't block most of ads (about 50% or more) both in chrome web browser and in-app ads. only thing that seems being solidly blocked is the youtube in-app ads.
my system is android 4.4.2 on Nexus 7 2013 version. i even re-installed the entire OS and re-rooted and it gives me the same result. please fix

Re: Suddenly most of ads are not being blocked.

Post by guest »

I have been experiencing this same exact problem. Hopefully this get addressed soon...it's quite an annoyance!
Nattehine

Post by Nattehine »

I'm having the exact same problem! It worked fine for about a week then it wouldn't work anymore, only blocks YouTube ads. And I am constantly getting pop ups from ads that I haven't even clicked. My device is a Samsung galaxy S4 4.2.2 with android chrome v32.0.1700.99.
Andy_P

Post by Andy_P »

Any news on this getting fixed?

I can now see hardly any difference between Ad block Plus being switched on or off. Loads of ads getting through (I'm talking about browser page ads here on Dolphin)

Incidentally, why does the message in 'settings' often flip to say "allowing ads on wifi connection" even when it is switched on? You have to swich it off and on again to make it show correctly (but it still shows ads)
FluffythePink

Post by FluffythePink »

Did this get fixed? I'm using Dolphin and after years of desktop use, adblock on my tablet is now basically useless. It's not blocking most adverts not matter what filter list I use. Any info, anyone?
grind diff sets ten

Post by grind diff sets ten »

FluffythePink wrote:Did this get fixed?
no.

category/adblock-plus-android/

last update was awhile ago.

I think it's open source, so you can fix it if you really want to.

on my end, it is a total disaster. I gave up on the app and just installed the Firefox plugin.
FluffythePink

Post by FluffythePink »

TBH, I can't stand Firefox for Android, compared Dolphin browser it's clunky and a pain in the bum to use. This from a devoted desktop FF user since it first appeared. Does any one know if ABP even care that their app is failing to do more than take up memory use for a percentage of people? I'm starting to feel that they're more interested in not stepping on peoples toes rather than offering a quality app for the benefit of their users... That could just be me though and I won't be donating again.

Thanks for the info, love, I'll pass on mucking about with it and go look at what's on offer from the other Adblockers atm. Probably about time that I got my finger out and rooted anyway.
polonium101

Post by polonium101 »

Ads aren't blocked with Jetpack turned on. If you turn Jetpack off, ads get blocked.
polonium101

Post by polonium101 »

polonium101 wrote:Ads aren't blocked with Jetpack turned on. If you turn Jetpack off, ads get blocked.
In Dolphin, that is...
FluffythePink

Post by FluffythePink »

polonium101 wrote:
polonium101 wrote:Ads aren't blocked with Jetpack turned on. If you turn Jetpack off, ads get blocked.
Tested, makes absolutely no difference and in the last week or so ABP has stopped working on all apps as well as browsers. It was working when I first installed it, now it is not and I'm getting reports from all the people I set up with it that they are having exactly the same issue. This is cross browser as well as android version. Either ABP has a serious problem or the filter lists have turned to utter crud in the last 2 months. I look after 12 tablets among my friends and family and after a chat with a couple of geek friends, they are also having the same issue.
ABP is now as useful as a chocolate teapot. If it isn't sorted out in the next update I'm not going to be able to recommend it at all and will have to consign the app to the bin. Which is disappointing. I've trust it for years.
abakus

Post by abakus »

Hey there,

I tested some websites and apps on my nexus 7 (CM11-M3, rooted) and Ads are blocked on my favorite news sites (tested with chrome browser). So if you can give me some websites that show ads for you, i can see if there are some problems. So far everything works like i excepted it.

greetz,
abakus
jennny

Post by jennny »

Hi,

I have android jelly bean 4.2 and I am still seeing ads after installing and restarting the device.
I can see them on 9gag.com for example.

p.s. I am using Next Browser.
Ads suddenly no being blocked

Post by Ads suddenly no being blocked »

I have not only seen this on Android but while using the PC as well, adds are showing up when they haven't been and for Android they have quit working altogether.....first place I would look is Android itself and see if something was updated with or without our knowledge to cause this. Lets face it, Google gave Adblockers the boot because they were costing them money, maybe this is payback?
mapx

Post by mapx »

no payback. Could be some update of your android software. Try removing ABP and reinstall it.
FluffythePink

Post by FluffythePink »

Ads suddenly no being blocked wrote:I have not only seen this on Android but while using the PC as well, adds are showing up when they haven't been and for Android they have quit working altogether.....first place I would look is Android itself and see if something was updated with or without our knowledge to cause this. Lets face it, Google gave Adblockers the boot because they were costing them money, maybe this is payback?
I've got a TF101 running 4.0.3, android hasn't been updated in the entire time I've had it. Asus stopped updates to try and force people to buy new tablets and I haven't got 'round to updating anything manually. All I've done is two factory resets and that's it. ABP was working fine, as expected and as well as on my pc until about two months ago. I'm getting persistant pop ups/push ads on the whole cheezburger network, video ads on the mobile version of textsfromlastnight, perminant amazon ads across ebay, ads and the rest on all the piratebay sites, kat sites, facebook and more ads are starting to show up everyday now. I do use video streaming sites, all of them where being blocked and now they are back to unusable, as if ABP didn't exist. Not a single one of my apps are being blocked anymore either. I have reinstalled a couple of times, first thing I tried when it started going tits up. Nothing. Switch on, switched off, there's almost no difference now.