Adblock Plus and AVG Cleaner

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
rickym

Adblock Plus and AVG Cleaner

Post by rickym »

Hi,

I have been using Adblock Plus and Adblock on my PC for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Recently I upgraded to a SmartPhone (Galaxy S3, GTI9305T, Android Verson 4.3). Today, I loaded AVG AntiVirus, AVG Cleaner and Adblock Plus (PRO). However, I still get some ads, one of which appears at the foot of the AVG cleaner Home Page. It advertises games, antivirus software and several games. It suggests that I could download some games from Google Play; however, I suspect that it a ploy. Any thoughts, please? Have I done something wrong?

Cheers,

Rick
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus and AVG Cleaner

Post by mapx »

adblock plus pro ?
if it's not downloaded from
en/android-install

it's a scam
rickym

Post by rickym »

Sorry, I have AVG Pro. This does automatic backups and a few other things not relevant here. My point is that I seem to be seeing failures with Adblock Plus. Is this likely my fault or a failure in the program? The failures only seem to be occurring in AVG.

Cheers,

Rick
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you try disabling AVG ? Did you still see errors in ABP ? (what sort of errors ? )

Post by Guest »

Hi mapx,
mapx wrote:Did you try disabling AVG ? Did you still see errors in ABP ? (what sort of errors ? )
First up, I note that the advertisement(s) really only occur when I'm looking at AVG Cleaner in portrate mode. As soon as I swap to landscape, it disappears.

When I first load AVG, nothing is there. It appears after 4 or 5 seconds.

The message is at the bottom of the screen -- a bar that goes from one side to the other, about 8-mm high.

Messages include:
  • ! "Your phone may have a virus. Click to scan your phone now." I have run Lookout (now uninstalled) and AVG AntiVirus (now installed).

"New wallpapers"

"Menulog" -- didn't get the rest. Fast food ad.

Huge Apple package to win

"Call yourself a cricket guru. Download clever cricket now."
Other ads have appeared, but I can't remember them just now and I'd be here all day waiting for them. Some refer to Google Play.

I have been having other problems with the Galaxy and the company that sold it to me (Kogan) have suggested that I "restore factory settings". I'm not very happy about that. :( Nevertheless, I will do it later today. The problem is, if I go into Wi-Fi, I get a message "Network disabled because internet connection is slow". However, it also says that "signal strength is very strong". Other computers here have no trouble with Wi-Fi, just the Samsung. I have no idea if the two issues are related.