ABP and Nexus 9 Android 5.0 (UPDATED)

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
NoClue48

ABP and Nexus 9 Android 5.0 (UPDATED)

Post by NoClue48 »

I am setting up my stock Nexus 9 running Android 5.0 and have been unable to get ABP to block any ads. I have "localhost" and "2020" set as my manual proxy server in the WiFi set up section. I also have Filtering enabled and the EasyList downloaded in the app itself.

Of note here is that the app shows that EasyList is (not loaded) and that it is "Waiting for traffic on port 2020"; both of which I am assuming are the cause(s) of no ads being blocked.

Just curious if others are having similar issues with Android 5.0.

Thanks!

UPDATE: My device is now rooted and Adblock Plus has been granted SU access. I continue to have the same indications as before and ads are not being blocked. I have also tried several randomly selected language/lists and the results don't change.

UPDATE 2: I should add that setting the proxy to "None" (thereby removing the "localhost" and "2020" entries) results in the same behavior; i. e., no ads are blocked.
burgerga

Re: ABP and Nexus 9 Android 5.0 (UPDATED)

Post by burgerga »

Exactly the same for nexus 5
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you try the last dev build ? (343)
devbuilds/adblockplusandroid/00latest.apk

Re: ABP and Nexus 9 Android 5.0 (SOLVED!)

Post by Guest »

mapx wrote:Did you try the last dev build ? (343)
(I thought I'd repiled to this--apologies if this results in a double post)

I wasn't aware of the 343 build, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the tip!
Burgerga

Post by Burgerga »

The proxy works for a wifi connection if i configure it manually, but abp fails to detect root, so it doesn't automatically filter all traffic.
NoClue48

Post by NoClue48 »

Burgerga wrote:The proxy works for a wifi connection if i configure it manually, but abp fails to detect root, so it doesn't automatically filter all traffic.
I'd have to agree... I've only noticed the WiFi connection blocking myself. On my Nexus 9, that's okay as it's WiFi only. However, on my Nexus 5 phone, it isn't blocking mobile data ads. Both devices are rooted...
Poloblue

Post by Poloblue »

I have the same question on my Nexus 5 with Android 5.0
Poloblue

Post by Poloblue »

tsalagicelt wrote: tsalagicelt wrote:
I had the same problem as others have described. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, the Sprint version (L720), running Jellybean 4.2.2..

Whenever I chose "Manual" for changing the proxy settings, as soon as I entered anything in the "Proxy host name" field, the "Save" button became grayed and wouldn't allow the changes to be saved. However, I fiddled with it a bit, until I accidentally found a solution. After putting 2020 in the "Proxy port" field, it occurred to me to change the value that I had already entered in the "Proxy host name" field. As soon as I placed my cursor back in that field, the "Save" button became white again, allowing a save operation. I experimented a bit more, and discovered that this form insists that the proxy port be specified before it will allow the proxy host name to be entered. If done in that order, it works like a charm.
This worked!
bonesdad

Post by bonesdad »

The new build worked for me on my Nexus 5...ABP has not worked on my phone since the 5.0 update.

Post by Guest »

Perfect.
galwayguy

Post by galwayguy »

I have strange issues with my Nexus 5 using 343. It's blocking ads on wifi, sometimes it blocks on my mobile network, but even on wifi I get the waiting for traffic notification.
Axel1973

Re: ABP and Nexus / Android 5.0

Post by Axel1973 »

reporting BUG on

gear: nexus 6 + android 5.0.1 (kernel 3.10.40-g72dfced), build no LRX22c
using: ABP 1.2.1 build 347
problem: Ads in native YouTube App still NOT BLOCKED AT ALL. wlan connection modified for manual proxy at "localhost:2020" and youtube app restarted after change. problem still there.
mapx

Post by mapx »

https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/1182
After further investigation it looks like the video ads are being served via HTTPS. Nothing we can do here at the moment unfortunately.
Pascal_P

Post by Pascal_P »

Thank you so very much mapx! ABP (build 348) works also properly again on the (not rooted) Galaxy S5, android 5.0 because of you're information.
I updated it and just needed to change the port 8080 to 2020 and the notification was gone. :mrgreen:
Greetz from Belgium!