How to use app with cell data that uses APN/Access Points

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
EliezerB

How to use app with cell data that uses APN/Access Points

Post by EliezerB »

Currently the app works well when on WiFi but not at all via my cell data connection. I have a non-rooted Samsung Galaxy S4. Please see these three screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

These are the settings on my phone that I must use for my cell provider.

When I am on my mobile data connection I get this when trying to access an HTTP webpage:
The request is not understood.
Technical description:
400 Bad Request - Check your spelling for the requested URL.
And this for an HTTPS page:
SSL connection error
Hide details
Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have.
Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
Does the app have settings that would accommodate my phone's settings?

Thanks,
Eliezer
lewisje

Re: How to use app with cell data that uses APN/Access Points

Post by lewisje »

ABP for Android does not work on cellular connections on non-rooted devices.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

the guy here is talking about unrooted devices
Chromebook-User

Post by Chromebook-User »

Good News: Yesterday I discovered ABP DOES work with cell data.

At least for me with my Galaxy S3 in the network O2 Germany: I modified the APN "o2 Internet". There I added the same proxy as for the WiFi connections (localhost, 2020). And now it works also with the mobile packet data service.

Obviously this can not work if your provider REQUIRES a proxy. But perhaps the proxy is only added to improve performance. To check this temporarily remove the proxy entry and check if your internet connection still is alive. Maybe it's now slower (or faster!).
Chromebook-User

And my phone is not rooted
EliezerB

Post by EliezerB »

Chromebook-User wrote:Good News: Yesterday I discovered ABP DOES work with cell data.

At least for me with my Galaxy S3 in the network O2 Germany: I modified the APN "o2 Internet". There I added the same proxy as for the WiFi connections (localhost, 2020). And now it works also with the mobile packet data service.

Obviously this can not work if your provider REQUIRES a proxy. But perhaps the proxy is only added to improve performance. To check this temporarily remove the proxy entry and check if your internet connection still is alive. Maybe it's now slower (or faster!).
Thank you for your reply. Could you please take a quick look at my three screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

This is from my provider:
The Proxy and Port need to be set to Pure TalkUSA network configuration settings.
Proxy = Proxy.mvno.telrite.com
Port = 80
Specifically how do you suggest I set which settings?

Thanks!
Eliezer
Chromebook-User

I'm not quite sure what you already have tried. So perhaps you can skip some steps.

1. Remove ABP

2. Connect the 3G/4G Network of your provider with the settings given to you by the provider. (I often receive a special SMS for auto-configuration).

3. Make sure your Internet connection is OK.

4. Now modify the "proxy" setting of the access point. Remove the entry and save it empty. You don't have to modify the port number. It is not used, if no proxy is specified.

5. Check again if your Internet connection also works without proxy.

If you can still do Internet browsing, send E-Mail etc.: You won ! The proxy entry was just a recommendation and you can now proceed with step 6.
If not, you have to re-enter the proxy entry and can not use ABP over this network.

6. Install ABP

7. Set the proxy to "localhost"

8. Set the portnumber to 2020

You can now use ABP over this network.

Repeat steps 7 and 8 for other networks (WiFi or cellular) as you like.
EliezerB

Post by EliezerB »

Thank you, but it appears the localhost/2020 isn't going to work with my network. Thanks much!!!