Post by MajorSharp »

Howdy all,

Firstly, here are my specs:

Digiland DL701Q Tablet

Android 4.4.2 - KitKat

AdblockPlus 1.2.1

Comcast (Cable) Internet

Here's the situation:

I bought this $50 tablet for my 4 year old daughter to play games and learn with, but one thing that pissed me off to no end was the fact that she couldn't do anything without running into ads. Some ads can't be dismissed by paying money either. So, I turned to Adblock Plus. It blocks ads just fine. The issue I am having, is that I can't connect to the internet while Adblock is running. I'm 30 years old and have have been using computers since I was 7 years old. I'm a veteran PC user and average hacker.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to go to some other, more extreme route? Is there another port I should try or do I have something configured incorrectly?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. It frustrates me when she goes from playing a game to trying to load YouTube, and I have to disable the Proxy Server.

Thanks
mapx

Re: No Internet Through Proxy Server

Post by mapx »

the last ABP for android is 1.3, did you try it ?
see the lasts builds:
https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... usandroid/
Patrick05020

Post by Patrick05020 »

it may be that the tablet is $50 because using adblock does slow down browsing speed quite a bit. so if you mix $50 tablet + adblock may = connection failed. my tablet is a $400 samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 so i dont normally have these types of problems. but it may also be that adblock 1.2.1 is outdated, so update to 1.3.0(latest version) here en/android-install and try using adblock again.
MajorSharp

Post by MajorSharp »

Thanks, I'll try updating Adblock. It seems that the connection issue is intermittent, which is strange. All day today, everything has been working fine, but this issue has been going on for several weeks. It's odd that I haven't done anything yet and the problem seems to be gone.
Arashi.

Post by Arashi. »

I have the same issue with my Acer Iconia A3. (Android 4.4.2 not rooted)

Sometimes browser stops opening sites, telling me, that it cant connect to proxy server. To make it work again I need to restart chrome.
Same thing happens with some applications. Youtube app loses connection after loading 1-2 videos for example.

I can only assume, that it is google fighting vs addblock.
niall2701

Post by niall2701 »

Hi, I have the exact same problem on my new Samsung tab S .

Adblockplus has been working spectacularly since I installed it 2 weeks ago but when I woke this morning I couldn't connect to the Internet. I got the message can't connect to proxy server.

I had to revert to no proxy within the settings. I can now connect but my favourite website is just one big ad.

Any ideas????
hreintke

Post by hreintke »

LS,
Sorry to reply to an old thread but I have the same issue and would like to know if someone already found a solution.

I have a Samsung TAB S 10.1 Standard installation (new from the shop).

One of the first thing I did was installing ABP 1.3. , It mentioned that I had to configure proxysettings myself.
I did this, wifi networks, advanced settings, set proxy to localhost port 2020.
And : it worked as expected.

But after a few days (in which I did not change settings, but maybe automatic updates came in?) ABP is not working anymore.
When trying to set proxy I have the remark that it only valid for HTTP connections and may not be used by other applications.
And : no way I can get ABP working again.

Searched for a solution a couple of days but I see the same issue mentioned more but no solution provided.

Any help here ?

Herman