Adblock Plus does not work on Samsung Galaxy Tab S and S4

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
WendiT

Adblock Plus does not work on Samsung Galaxy Tab S and S4

Post by WendiT »

Please let me know what I forget! I will try to be as specific as I can.

Galaxy Tab S: (non-root)
ABP Version 1.3 Build# 359
Easy list updated today.

Model: Samsung-SM-T807A (At&t)
Android Version: 5.0.2

Proxy Host Name: localhost
Proxy Port: 2020

Status of ABP: Allowing ads on WIFI connection *Wait it changed about five minutes later. Ads are blocked on WiFi connection.

Galaxy S4 (non-root)
ABP Version 1.3 Build# 359
Easy list updated today.

Model Number I337 (At&t)
Android Version: 5.0.1

Proxy Host Name: localhost
Proxy Port: 2020

Status of ABP: Ads are blocked on WiFi connection.

Everything applies to both devices.

When I first install program it gives him the usual configure prompt. I configure everything as requested and it will say waiting for traffic on port 2020. Then it will go to Allowing ads on WIFI connection. Then over to blocking ads. It takes a good five minutes to do so.

When I open any app with ads in it, it doesn't block the ads. Never had this problem before upgrading to lollipop. If I turn off mobile data, still get ads. I've had to resort to using Net Blocker and keeping my mobile data off until I need it. But it doesn't help with apps that have to connect to the net in order to work.

For some very, very strange reason it seems to block ads on my son's restricted profile. He has WiFi and Mobile Data access. His Proxy host name: localhost Proxy port: 2020. When I give him access to use ABP it tells me to set the port to 3030. But I don't because it seems to be working just fine. Maybe there's a way to solve the problem in there. I would just create me an account to use but I really don't want to download everything again. Set everything up again. But I will... ... If I have to... :cry:

Please, please fix. I've had a problem rooting both devices. Actually I've been told you cant root the tablet. Just waiting for someone to figure out the phone on 5.0.

Thanks for your time. Really just want to know if someone is working on this. Just seem a little overwhelmed at the moment. If a lot of these apps offered paid versions I would so buy them just to get rid of the ads, but alas they don't!
wynn

Re: Adblock Plus does not work on Samsung Galaxy Tab S and S4

Post by wynn »

Have the same exact problem here on a Xperia Z3 Sony tablet :/
kiwi100

Post by kiwi100 »

I have a Sony Xperia Z2 tablet non rooted and the same problems. It definitely is the upgrade to 5.0 lollipop. HELP!!!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

AdBlock Plus does not work on my Samsung S 10.5 tablet. I tried downloading it via Firefox for Android and then Adblock for Android. AdBlock Plus continues to work well on my Desktop Windows 8.1 cmputer.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

An update to my earlier post. AdBlock Plus now appears to be working on my Samsung S 10.5 tablet. Here is what I did:

0. go into the Settings screen in your tablet to enable app installs from unknown sources. On my Samsung, I clicked on Settings, General, Security and then placed a check mark in the Unknown Sources box.
1. Plug in your tablet to your desk top's USB port so that it just shows up as another drive (like an external hard drive).
2. download the AdBlock for Android file at the Adblock website.
3. Save the file to your micro card on the tablet. The micro card has to be purchased separately since it does not come with the tablet.
4. Look for your saved file by clicking on the connected tablet "drive" on your desktop and then clicking on "card". The file has a small icon and reads "adblockplusandroid-1.3 APK file 3.38 MB". 5. Click on the APK file to install it.

I think it took a while for the ABP icon to show up at the top left hand corner of my tablet display. I didn't notice it until the following morning.

You should not have to mess with ports and proxies.

ABP got rid of most of the obnoxious ads at the Yahoo.com web site so I consider it a success.
Last edited by mapx on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: better readability
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

In my previous post, I should have noted that you need to go into the Settings screen in your tablet to enable app installs from unknown sources. On my Samsung, I clicked on Settings, General, Security and then placed a check mark in the Unknown Sources box. Then proceed with steps 1-5 as outlined earlier.
ShilanAzem1136

Post by ShilanAzem1136 »

there is any option in the new lollipop os to simply block all the advertisement occur while playing games?