Massive Data use of Adblock plus - explanation?

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
Jochen K.

Massive Data use of Adblock plus - explanation?

Post by Jochen K. »

Hi,

I've got two Android devices; both with German data plans.
One is on BASE (5GB high speed data)
the other is on O2 (.75GB high speed data).

Both used to have Adblock Plus installed, then...
...on the first device I received a warning that 90% of my monthly data volume had been used, when I was sure that I could only have used less than 3GB.

The list showing data use displayed, at the very top, "Adblock Plus 2.7GB". - I uninstalled Adblock Plus.
A few months later the second device gave the same 90% warning, when I only had received a large number of text messages (mostly for two factor verification) and updated a few apps; here a closer look showed "Adblock Plus 640MB". - Again I uninstalled Adblock Plus.

Can anyone explain this nasty behaviour to me, and is there anything I can do to avoid a repetition? I'd REALLY like to reinstall the app.

Regards,
Jochen
rach

Re: Massive Data use of Adblock plus - explanation?

Post by rach »

Hey Jochen K.!

Thanks for reaching out to us.
Here you can refer to one of the FAQ: android-faq#traffic
By default, adblocking generally leads to increased memory usage because the mechanisms which enable ad blocking (e.e. blocking filters, hiding rules) need to be kept in memory. That being said, we are working to reduce it by orders of magnitude on all platforms. Most devices with 2GB RAM should have the same experience as a desktop computer, though for older devices this may be an issue.

Hope that helps. :)
Let us know in case you have any additional question.