ABP Addon causing IE11 to hang on launch

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
ChiefEngr

ABP Addon causing IE11 to hang on launch

Post by ChiefEngr »

This is driving me crazy and I'm running out of ideas. If anyone has some suggestions or thoughts, please send them.

I am currently running a fully patched Win7Pro/x64 with the latest version of IE11. ABP v1.3.763 works fine. If I update to ABP v1.4.796 or v1.5, IE11 basically hangs on launch -- it is like ABP never finishes initializing. I do not get any message notifying of an addon taking a long time to start or anything.

If I open IE with no addons (or go to ControlPanel/InternetOptions) and disable ABP, IE will start properly. If I disable all other addons *except* ABP, IE hangs on launch as before.

I have tried the usual faith healing (resetting IE, purging caches and cookies, un/re-installing) with no joy. I can, however, reinstall 1.3.763 and things work properly.

Before I wear down the tips of my fingers from scratching my head, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
cubeover

v1.6 freezes IE for many seconds on W8.1

Post by cubeover »

Good time of day all
I have upgraded to Adblock 1.6 and seeing a lot of "freezing" when pages [obviously] try to display ads after changing webpages. A page loads, then after 1-2sec it "freezes" to a point where navigation is not possible for 20 seconds or so. This is excruciatingly slow. The Internet Explorer 11 sometimes shows "Recover page" dialog or the "Long-Running Script" dialog at the bottom bar. I am on Windows 8.1 with all recommended patches applied. This did not happen on v1.5 but 1.5 is not as effective and started to miss many ads.
Please help, as I am not moving back to W7 or forward to Windows 10. Neither Adblock 1.5 is good enough.
Please let's fix this issue! I can trace/debug/do anything for you as I am very tech-savvy (MS Certified as well).
cubeover

Re: v1.6 freezes IE for many seconds on W8.1

Post by cubeover »

Just checked and v1.5 also does the delay, although a quicker one (7 seconds). My PC has 4.4GHz hexacore i7 and 64GB or RAM, disk speed is 1.2GB/s - this is not slow hardware. Network speed 11Mbps/1.1Mbps ADSL
cubeover

Re: ABP Addon causing IE11 to hang on launch

Post by cubeover »

I can see the same issue, with v1.6 this became worse as the hangups happen every page change on some news sites.
As of today, the only solution seems to be to use FireFox instead which is rather slow to start compared to quick IE11.
Let me know if you find a solution. :?
cubeover

Post by cubeover »

@Chief - do you have any sorts of tracking protection on your router or elsewhere in the network (proxy?)
Seems like the devs do not care for IE11 users - an alarming trend... :x
cubeover

Post by cubeover »

OK you guys, I seem to have figured out how to get around the hangups.
1. Uninstall or disable AdblockPlus for IE. You do not need the add-on.
2. To use the built-in Tracking Protection engine, go to https://dayngo.com/static/filter.html and click "Install TPL" that fits your language situation best.
It is essentially the same lists but using built-in engine (no hang-ups) - you've enabled it already, but you can check in Manage Add-Ons -> Tracking Protection.
Microsoft have broken the built-in link for "Getting more tracking protection lists online" but you have the link above from me :)

I was on the verge of moving on to the hog-slow FriedFox but here you go...
Pretty cool, huh?