Windows Update XP

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
thenry

Windows Update XP

Post by thenry »

Hello Adblock Plus. Running the blocker on XP causes problems for windows update via browser updater and OS updater, some updates didn't install until I whitelisted windows update via the web browser.

Quick guide...

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Update or Windows Update > within the Internet Explorer window, bottom bar where the ABP icon is right click and click on "Disable on update.microsoft.com"

sorted the issue but may be you could whitelist MS update in the installer avoiding this need to whitelist manually ?
winstongel

Re: Windows Update XP

Post by winstongel »

If you turn off automatic updating, your PC will rarely if ever get patched. If you don't need Automatic update ON, then select Never Check for updates (not recommended). More about....[ur=http://net-informations.com/q/mis/update.htmll]Windows Update[/url]

Winston
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Because Windows XP has been EOL for more than two years, unless you use something like Office 2007 you shouldn't need to keep Automatic Updates on, because there will be no more updates; just get the system fully patched, and ideally switch to Firefox, the only mainstream browser still being updated on XP.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

although switching to Firefox for XP users will only be a short-term solution as Mozilla plans to drop XP/Vista support after Firefox 51 or 52 ESR
as per Bugzilla bug report 1303827 [Move Windows XP and Vista to Firefox ESR 52}:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1303827

long-term solution, upgrade to Win7 or better if your existing XP machine can handle it.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Most likely, Pale Moon will be the last browser of any significance that still supports XP (since the fork, it's no longer tied to the support decisions that Mozilla makes).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.