Well, this is a new one.
I have been using adblockplus on firefox for some time.
I tried to install adblockplus for IE.
I went to adblockplus.org
It properly detects my browser,
I am forwarded to https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer
"Install for internet explorer"
The site says done with errors on the lower left.
Take a look at the errors. Mozilla 4.0/
That seems a little suspicious. The user agent is wrong? How can that be?
The errors are
Webpage error details
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152)
Timestamp: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 22:44:40 UTC
Message: Script error
Message: Unspecified error.
URI: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ ... heme=light
The green box that says "Install for internet explorer"
Has the link https://downloads.adblockplus.org/adblockplusie-1.1.exe
which when clicked says
Internet explorer cannot display the web page
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
•Internet connectivity has been lost.
•The website is temporarily unavailable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
•The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
I tried right clicking the green box and saving target as,
I get a message
Cannot download, the connection to the server has been lost.
So on the same computer I pasted the link into firefox and I was able to download. I installed for IE and that works.
I looked and the default hosts file is the only one, so that's not the problem.
I turned off Microsoft security essentials, same error message when I click the green box.
I have no tricky connection blocking, and I was able to dl and install it for IE using firefox.
So I just dunno. I am calling weird on this one. I have noticed no other connection related problems with IE.