ABP Updated Then problems

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
denisg

Re: ABP Updated Then problems

Post by denisg »

gsthunder wrote:This morning when I booted up my system ADP asked if I wanted to perform an available update. I said yes. After the update was complete I had a LOT of trouble opening sites that previously had no problems with ADP. The only way to get the sites to open was to completely shut ADP down( everywhere ), close/reopen IE, go back to the site and when it opened disable ADP( on that specific site ), then close/reopen IE again and re-enable ADP( everywhere ). What a pain.

I ended up using system restore to revert back to the previous version of ADP and now things work ok again. Just thought I would post up and see if others have experienced this same issue?

I am running...

IE10
Windows 8
ADP( looks like version 1.0.0.0 - hard to find - looked in Tools >> Manage Add-Ons )

These sites were effected(Note - they started to open then would quickly stop and I got the big white screen saying IE could not open this site )...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/ ( my homepage )
https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com ( yahoo mail page )
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/index.php ( message forum )
Same here, seems v1.2 is hopeless, even can't be disabled for certain sites. No way should users have to switch it off for sites or "everywhere", have to shut down IE then re-start. Even doing that would not allow Amazon to open unless I disabled the whole thing. Absolutely terrible. I am using IE11 on Windows 7 64bit.

I had v1.1 saved so removed 1.2 and reinstalled 1.1 and back to working fine.

Denis.
Moden

Post by Moden »

mapx wrote:for mail.yahoo.com I can reproduce the issue
reported here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/1217
I also have this problem with Win 7 (x64) using IE 10.
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

I'm having the same problem with the update, every page I open automatically is redirected to a google ad page (doubleclick.net) where it states I have a connection problem & to check that the address is valid. I even visited the abp website to download the latest version but that's the same. I'm back on ver 1.1.
Windows 8.1 & IE 11.
Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast »

Same here, what seems to be happening is instead of blocking the ad on the page it shows on ad blocker is redirecting to the ads source page and blocking the ad there instead, hence the page not found issue.
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

We would really like to look into those redirect issues, if we had some more details, as we currently cannot reproduce it. Please provide a simple step by step reproduction series of how to get that with which filter list active and whether you have Acceptable Ads switched on or off. Your ABP version would also be great.
gneuner2

Post by gneuner2 »

Same problem. After updating to IE ABP 1.2, I can't open a number of pages that worked previously: I am immediately redirected to an "unable to open" page for the blocked site and cannot see the page(s) I want. This is happening with numerous sites and many different domains are being blocked.

Interestingly, I am having this problem on only one of 4 computers. I have 3 64-bit and 1 32-bit, all running Win7 Home and IE11. All are current wrt updates and all have IE configured identically. One 64-bit is experiencing blocking problems, all the others are behaving normally.

Tried disabling blocking per site, uninstalling/reinstalling (with and without reboot in between). Nothing works except completely disabling or uninstalling ABP. Finally gave up - I currently have ABP installed but disabled on the misbehaving machine.

[FWIW: I also use Firefox and am having no problems with ABP 2.6.4 for that browser. Problems are only with IE ABP 1.2.]

George
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

gneuner2 wrote:Same problem. After updating to IE ABP 1.2, I can't open a number of pages that worked previously: I am immediately redirected to an "unable to open" page for the blocked site and cannot see the page(s) I want. This is happening with numerous sites and many different domains are being blocked.

Interestingly, I am having this problem on only one of 4 computers. I have 3 64-bit and 1 32-bit, all running Win7 Home and IE11. All are current wrt updates and all have IE configured identically. One 64-bit is experiencing blocking problems, all the others are behaving normally.
George
@gneuner2:
  • Could you please tell me some websites that don't work?
  • Could you please also tell me, which filter list you used? (Click the Adblock Plus icon, then chose "Settings", then the one in the dropdown)
  • Could you please tell me, whether "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" is enabled at this settings page?
  • Please tell me, whether the settings "Enable 64-bit mode for Enhanced Protected Mode" and "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" in your Internet Explorer's Internet Settings, Advanced Tab, in the Security section are enabled.
Moden

Post by Moden »

Moden wrote:
mapx wrote:for mail.yahoo.com I can reproduce the issue
reported here:
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/1217
I also have this problem with Win 7 (x64) using IE 10.
1. I have the default filter list in place (easylist??)
2. To reproduce the Yahoo Mail problem:
3. Page opens by default in a second tab (I have mail as a Home page tab)
4. Select the mail tab
5. Mail is displayed with an empty preview pane as no email has been selected
6. As soon as I select a mail in the list the page cannot be displayed behavior occurs.

If you need more details please respond to this and I will try to provide them.

One difference I have noted is that with 1.1 on the Yahoo Verizon Homepage the upper right hand ad would be blocked but the cell for the ad would remain (blank box) with 1.2 the box is also removed. On the Yahoo mail page the add box is the entire right hand side of the page. I wonder if this is causing the issue...
mapx

Post by mapx »

thanks @Moden, but yahoo.com issue can be reproduced (as you can see from the ticket 1217 linked above)

p_hill is asking for the steps for the other issue (ABP 1.2 does not blocking the ad in the original page but ... redirects to the ad page)
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

p_hill wrote:We would really like to look into those redirect issues, if we had some more details, as we currently cannot reproduce it. Please provide a simple step by step reproduction series of how to get that with which filter list active and whether you have Acceptable Ads switched on or off. Your ABP version would also be great.
Websites: www.virginmedia.com, Yahoo.co.UK to name two.
Acceptable ads on but same when off.
Filter list is Easylist.
Version is the latest available to download 1.2.
Enhanced protection mode is off as is 64bit processes for EPM.
All I'm doing is clicking on the IE icon on my desktop & it opens my homepage which is the virginmedia site.
GJL

Post by GJL »

I'm using version 1.2 & it is working with no redirect issue.
The only problems I have found so far;

Version 99.9 is displayed under Uninstall Programs.
Some embedded video will not load until ABP is disabled. This issue is not unique to version 1.2. It started some time during the last few weeks of using version 1.1.

Just a little food for thought (& the reason for this post).
Has anyone with the redirect problem tried removing all other add-ons then reinstalling ABP?
gsthunder

Post by gsthunder »

mapx wrote:thanks @Moden, but yahoo.com issue can be reproduced (as you can see from the ticket 1217 linked above)

p_hill is asking for the steps for the other issue (ABP 1.2 does not blocking the ad in the original page but ... redirects to the ad page)

Actually, my problem is what the others are talking about with redirects as well. I should have been more clear about that. When I try and open the links I listed in my post that started this thread, with the newest version of ADB installed, those sites start to open for a brief second or so( you can see the page )but then you are instantly redirected to other addresses and the page fails to open. You then get the white screen stating unable to open page with the errors others have mentioned already.

I am sorry but I don't have the redirect link addresses to provide. Comcast( Xfinity )and Yahoo mail try to open a different address within their own site just with strange URL's. The message forum tries to open an ad page URL. All 3 end up with the white error screen stating unable to open page.

There are no "special" steps I was taking to access the pages that need reproducing either. Just installed latest version of ADP when I got the popup saying an update was available and then just open IE and proceed as usual. The Comcast( Xfinity )link is my homepage so the only step is opening the browser. To access the other 2 links I just clicked on them in my Favorites folder.

As stated in my 1st post the ONLY way I could access those sites with the update/newest ADP version installed and enabled was to do the following steps...
gsthunder wrote:The only way to get the sites to open was to completely shut ADP down( everywhere ), close/reopen IE, go back to the site and when it opened disable ADP( on that specific site EDIT - with disable everywhere still checked ), then close/reopen IE again and re-enable ADP( everywhere EDIT - leaving disable on the specific site checked ).
If I followed those steps it allowed the sites to open and then it would block the ads. Just too big of a hassle though so I reverted back to the working version of ADP and everything works again. So no special steps. Just normal procedure to view a site.

Windows 8
IE10
ADP Easy List
mapx

Post by mapx »

@gsthunder
Did you try (as GJL wrote above):
Has anyone with the redirect problem tried removing all other add-ons then reinstalling ABP?
remove also java (from IE)
Moden

Post by Moden »

I don't have Java installed. Would disabling the active add-on in the IE Add-on Manager suffice for this test?
mapx

Post by mapx »

I'm afraid you have to remove the addons to be sure ...