A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
Gregory

A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Post by Gregory »

I updated Adblock Plus to the 1.2 version and had the problems other users have reported in this forum.

I uninstalled Version 1.2 and went back to Version 1.1.

Now several times a day I get the popup window telling me "A new version of AdBlock Plus is ready to be installed. Do you want to install it now?" I always answer no, but later it will ask me again.

Is there a way to disable it asking me to update? I do not want to update until the bugs are fixed and I'm getting tired of this popup asking me if I want to update.

Gregory
p_hill

Re: A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed.

Post by p_hill »

We can help to find and fix the issues you are talking about, if you could get us some more details on those. Please provide a simple step by step reproduction series of how to get that with which filter list active and whether you have Acceptable Ads switched on or off.
José

Post by José »

I totally agree with Gregory. Why don't the developers just remove the buggy version 1.2 until a improved version (eg. 1.2a or 1.3) is ready to download for all users?

Why is the buggy version still offered for download?

That's what Gregory is complaining about. If feel like him, I also rolled back to version 1.1 and now get the same frequent messages that a new (buggy;-)) version is ready to download. But we all know now that version 1.2 was more like a Beta-Version, right;-)
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

José wrote:I totally agree with Gregory. Why don't the developers just remove the buggy version 1.2 until a improved version (eg. 1.2a or 1.3) is ready to download for all users?

Why is the buggy version still offered for download?

That's what Gregory is complaining about. If feel like him, I also rolled back to version 1.1 and now get the same frequent messages that a new (buggy;-)) version is ready to download. But we all know now that version 1.2 was more like a Beta-Version, right;-)
The new version fixes a lot of issues that the old one had. We are so far not able to reproduce all of the issues reported here. You can help us to do so and fix them quicker, if you can provide us any kind of details on issues that you have faced like which website, which exact issue, what to do to get it, which filter list is active and whether acceptable ads (both on the settings page) is enabled.
skaizun

Post by skaizun »

I have IE 9 on Vista.
I have the same problem.
It also tells me that it cannot process the install until IE is closed, which it is!
This did not happen with 1.0.0.0, which I had until now, and am re-installing,
and, since you do not believe us, I will probably not install any future adblock.
Free or not: Great customer service, guys!
mapx

Post by mapx »

skaizun wrote:since you do not believe us, I will probably not install any future adblock.
Where did you see such statement ?!
The devs need to know the steps to reproduce all your issues, it's simple.
Doctor9fan

Post by Doctor9fan »

skaizun wrote:I have IE 9 on Vista.
I have the same problem.
It also tells me that it cannot process the install until IE is closed, which it is!
This did not happen with 1.0.0.0, which I had until now, and am re-installing,
and, since you do not believe us, I will probably not install any future adblock.
Free or not: Great customer service, guys!
I've had the 'close IE' message when trying to install/update other software even though it was closed, it turned out that there were several instances open under task manager.
LunaB

Post by LunaB »

Same issue. Went back to 1.1 and am getting the popup several times a day asking me to upgrade to 1.2, which I previously deleted. There should be a simple to disable the popup.
THUNOR

Post by THUNOR »

LunaB wrote:Same issue. Went back to 1.1 and am getting the popup several times a day asking me to upgrade to 1.2, which I previously deleted. There should be a simple to disable the popup.
LunaB:
this might help you.. i've used "Wise Registry Cleaner" to safely remove lots of c****y software that didn't seem to have any other way.. also, you might look in your Control Panel -> Install / remove software -> and look for a program with some sort of name like "adblock reminder" or whatnot, then simply select it and click on remove.. there's also one other program i have used to remove unwanted software called CCleaner.. both Wise Registry Cleaner and CCleaner have downloadable free versions through Cnet or other such sites.

a slightly more dangerous method with a higher degree of precision is to search and edit your registry directly.. if you know how to access your registry, simply search for "adblock" or similar key value, and delete.. remember, if you damage your registry while doing something like this, your installation might not function properly or restart.. don't use this method unless you know what you're getting into.

one last way of having a program like this start and run is to load it through the "Startup" folder located on your "Porgrams" menu.. simply delete it from that location, restart your installation, and it won't load again..

hopefully, one of these methods will work for you; it would help if i knew what version of windows you are using since these names and features change slightly with each edition.. i'm still using win-xp believe it or not !

good luck,

~dg~
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

• There is no separate "Adblock Reminder": It's just part of ABP for IE.
  • It's easier to just go to http://ccleaner.com/ to download CCleaner rather than relying on CNet, FileHippo, Softpedia, or similar download portals (but if the official site makes it too difficult to download a program, then I go to FileHippo).
  • ABP for IE actually does have an Uninstall entry in Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in Vista and later), but as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's sometimes difficult to uninstall IE extensions, because even when you think IE isn't open, there may be a couple iexplore.exe entries in Task Manager, so check for them and End Process.
  • Why would you recommend going through the Registry directly? This isn't advanced malware removal here: It's a legitimate program with a functioning uninstaller.
  • ABP for IE has no Startup entry, because it loads only when IE is running, not when Windows starts up.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
jsvalen

Post by jsvalen »

I use Win 7. I installed ABP for Google Chrome without any problems. I installed ABP Version 1.2 for IE 11 and it doesn't work; also, ABP test says it's not working (http://simple-adblock.com/faq/testing-your-adblocker/). Tried everything under and over the sun to no avail; still doesn't work regardless which web page I visit. Uninstalled 1.2 and installed 1.1. Works great; test page even said it's working. No doubt in my mind, version 1.2 doesn't work.
steelgtr

Post by steelgtr »

Where do I find a previous version af abplus?

bob
mapx

Post by mapx »

steelgtr wrote:Where do I find a previous version af abplus?
bob
http://www.mediafire.com/download/46iby ... ie-1.1.exe
Mart

Post by Mart »

My adblock plus works fine. But I keep getting these pop-ups on the bottom right of the screen saying a new version is available and do I wish to update. Where do these come from? I don't think adblock. Is there a need to remove them or just click "no" whenever they appear?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you try the last version 1.3 ?

anyway an workaround to block the updates
forum/viewtopic.php?p=111160#p111160