Cannot install adblock

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
kemperhills

Cannot install adblock

Post by kemperhills »

I have and Acer Aspire desktop running W7, SP1. It has a 500 GB HD.

I downloaded Adblock and clicked run and then I get the following message: "This installation package cannot be opened:.

What is wrong and how can I get Adblock installed. I have Adblock on another computer in my office and it work fine. Thanks.
GJL

Re: Cannot install adblock

Post by GJL »

Sounds like a bad download. Delete it & download again.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

GJL wrote:Sounds like a bad download. Delete it & download again.
Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I have deleted and downloaded ABP 6 times with the same results. I have four other desktops in my office and ABP works fine on those computers.

The computer that it won't install on is an Acer Aspire 1300 running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, x64. I have one other computer running W7 Pro and ABP installed and works fine. The other three is running W7 Home Edition, x32 and ABP installed and works fine on those computers as well.

But on the Acer every time I try to install ABP I keep getting the same error message. Thanks.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

Thanks, even ran as admin, but not of that helped.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Are you using java on that system ? There were cases removing java (or other IE addons) permitted ABP to be installed / working well.
mapx

Post by mapx »

- try also disabling temporarily your security software during the installation
- see also the repair process for the installing proess in windows 7
http://www.howtogeek.com/184374/how-to- ... windows-7/
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

mapx wrote:Are you using java on that system ? There were cases removing java (or other IE addons) permitted ABP to be installed / working well.
Yes, I have Java, will try uninstalling and see. Don't think that is the case though. Just tried to install Microsoft Silverlight to watch Netflix and Silverlight won't install either.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's a general issue, so you could try the repair stuff
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

mapx wrote:it's a general issue, so you could try the repair stuff

Have tried everything you suggested and everything I can find on the net. Thanks.

Also, I can't install Adblock Plus, and couldn't install Microsoft Silverlight but finally got Silverlight installed. Don't know why, but I am wondering if it is a setting on my computer. But I have no idea what it could be. I just repaired a computer given to me and installed W7, SP1, x64 on it from the same ISO that I installed W7 on the Acer and I have no problem installing anything on it. But for some reason it is so on the Acer.
GJL

Post by GJL »

Have you tried creating a new user admin account & installing from there? Could be a corrupt user account as mentioned in the howtogeek link provided by mapx (youtube).

EDIT. This link not the howtogeek http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 25e?auth=1
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

GJL wrote:Have you tried creating a new user admin account & installing from there? Could be a corrupt user account as mentioned in the howtogeek link provided by mapx (youtube).

EDIT. This link not the howtogeek http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 25e?auth=1
Yes, that is one thing I found on the web that I tried that didn't work. Thanks.