ABP causing IE10 to hang on launch

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
ChiefEngr

ABP causing IE10 to hang on launch

Post by ChiefEngr »

I've got IE10 on a Win7/Pro-x64 system. Lately, when I launch IE10, there is a very good chance that it will hang and stop responding. It does not paint the home page or finish loading the assorted add-ons. It sits there "forever" unless I kill it -- often needing task manager to do so.

I launched IE without add-ons and disable APB. IE10 will now launch normally. I tried enabling ABP and disabling the other add-ons with no joy -- ABP seems to be the culprit.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version from the website -- still no joy.

Any ideas?
lewisje

Re: ABP causing IE10 to hang on launch

Post by lewisje »

Why aren't you upgrading to IE11?
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
lxatabpforum

Post by lxatabpforum »

hmm I seem to have clicked on save and I was accused for being a spammer. id like to say and do something but I wont.
now I shall rewrite again and and waste more of my time

so I was using 1.5 for a while and today I experienced the same hang on startup issue. ie wont load to a useable state. disabling abp solves the issue.
I have deleted all the "stuff" from internet options and reinstalled abp 1.5. works again.
ie11 32bit desktop; win 10 64bit.

now I will click submit. and lets hope all is fine this time

edit: options accessed from control panel. reinstall is not needed. abp process might be stuck so use taskman or something else to terminate it.
Last edited by lxatabpforum on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I get this at times (few times an hour) using AB+ and IE10 (I hate tabbed browsing in IE11):
Faulting application name: AdblockPlusEngine.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x56017eff
Faulting module name: AdblockPlusEngine.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x56017eff
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000035ab6
Faulting process id: 0x5fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d11d38b7048e7e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adblock Plus for IE\AdblockPlusEngine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adblock Plus for IE\AdblockPlusEngine.exe
Report Id: 120d0a4f-892f-11e5-9af8-448a5b9f94bb
I've tried to disable addons, reinstall etc...
god_forbids

Post by god_forbids »

lxatabpforum wrote:hmm I seem to have clicked on save and I was accused for being a spammer. id like to say and do something but I wont.
now I shall rewrite again and and waste more of my time

so I was using 1.5 for a while and today I experienced the same hang on startup issue. ie wont load to a useable state. disabling abp solves the issue.
I have deleted all the "stuff" from internet options and reinstalled abp 1.5. works again.
ie11 32bit desktop; win 10 64bit.

now I will click submit. and lets hope all is fine this time
Thank you for this post. Fixed my issues with IE11 on Win8.1 x64. In my case I found an older entry for ABP in Control Panel > Programs and Features, uninstalled both 1.5 and the older one, reinstalled 1.5 and all seems well.
lxatabpforum

Post by lxatabpforum »

got corrupted again. this time I fixed it only by deleting the "stuff". next time I might try to see which "staff" option is needed so that I do not delete all of it.
ChiefEngr

Post by ChiefEngr »

lewisje wrote:Why aren't you upgrading to IE11?
Why do you care whether I am using IE10 or IE11? Maybe you should try to post something that will be helpful.

As you may have noticed, others are experiencing the same problem with IE11.