Does not work

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
tedw49

Does not work

Post by tedw49 »

8.1.. ie..

I have downloaded it a bunch of times (and deleted it) I shows in addons.. there is no Icon anywhere for it.. and ads are same as before.. Is this still a viable product.. I do not mind donating but it has got to be a working up to date product..

Looking around I see similar posts but either no fixes or fix is not working for me..
Oh and it is also listed in the download folder but no way to open it.. If you try to open it it then starts download again or tries to remove itself.. no way to open and configure settings or any of that kind of thing
mapx

Re: Does not work

Post by mapx »

-is it enable in the "manage addons" (tools) ?
-internet options, advanced: see if "enable third-party browser extensions" is checked (enabled)
tedw49

Post by tedw49 »

mapx wrote:-is it enable in the "manage addons" (tools) ?
-internet options, advanced: see if "enable third-party browser extensions" is checked (enabled)
Hmmmm.. I added to my OP and it was here and now it is not here.

Yes it is Enabled and I will check the other suggestion..

What I am finding is that while in this forum site.. the Icon is down on the status bar and I can open it.. It is also shown when I go to MSN (my home page)
However it is not shown on ESPN, Yahoo, and others and of course there is no ad blocking on those pages... I am still surfing around to see where it seems to work and where it does not work but It seems to not work in more sites than it does work... and.. Of Course as luck would have it.. I seems to not work on the pages I most want it to work.. O well .. I tried.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.. I know it is free and I have never minded donating to these type of programs but I wish they would stress more in their ads what kind of sites it works in and what kind it does not work in..

enable third-party browser extensions is checked
again thank you..
mapx

Post by mapx »

go into settings and uncheck "allow some non intrusive advertising" and see if works on those pages
tedw49

Post by tedw49 »

Ok I will try that.. I have been going to all sites I would go to narmal and this forum site and MSN arethe only ones the icon shows on and The blocker seems to work (ofcourse this one might not count LOL.

All other sites.. ie Richie brother.com Machinery Trader .com.... Heavy Equipment forums.....Rc truck and construction forums..... mail (gmail and yahoo).. you tube.. ebay... amazon... Tech Guy Support forums.. etc etc there is no icon and no ad blocking

No Change..

funny.. using this forum site as a example... If I open these forums from The Adblocker web page or from my desktop icon the icon is there.. If I open this forum page from Yahoo mail (notifiacation mail) there is no icon.
mapx

Post by mapx »

strange, I see the icon on all the pages I visit
tedw49

Post by tedw49 »

It shows on the forestry forum and that is only three that I have found it shows on...
tedw49

Post by tedw49 »

Ok.. try this one on... I usually open sites using 'tiles'.. I have a few of these same sites on a desktop icon... So if I open the site from a tile I get no icon and no blocking... opening these same sites from the desktop and I do have the status bar icon.. ( this is new development and and still needing to check further and if ad's are being blocked.. I will need to make desktop icons for all sites..
mapx

Post by mapx »

IE supports addons only in desktop modality, this is the cause you dont see the icon or the ads been blocked.
tedw49

Post by tedw49 »

yes that seems true.. If I open from the task bar it also does not work.. Only from the desktop shortcuts does it work... that Is also a real bummer.. One year learning 8.1 and it's tile system and now a choice of forgetting it again and have less ads or live with the ads and stay addicted to the tiles..LOL.. and my goodness I am going to have a full desktop.. and soon to go learn 10.. I may be to old for this.. :lol:

well thank you for your help.. while I am not happy, it, at least is figured out.. and SOLVED.

OH, and yes it does also block the ads when site is opened from shortcuts..