ABP in IE still load ads

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
ent!ty

ABP in IE still load ads

Post by ent!ty »

Hi

I understood that ABP for IE was an evolution of 'Simple Adblock'. The promise there was:
Simple Adblock blocks ads before they are downloaded by Internet Explorer
However I think this does'nt apply anymore, as it seems to me ads are indeed downloaded and run/shown, before ABP sets display:none on the container elements, at least in MS Edge. Can anyone confirm this? It does not appear to me, that pages load faster...
mapx

Re: ABP in IE still load ads

Post by mapx »

There is no ABP for ms edge (because microsoft didn't still provide the extensions package / abi)
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

ent!ty wrote:I understood that ABP for IE was an evolution of 'Simple Adblock'.
It isn't: It was released before Simple Adblock stopped updating, and Simple Adblock just redirected its users to ABP for IE after discontinuing; ABP for IE is a curious hack that embeds the V8 engine and mostly ports over the code from ABP for Chrome.

With that said, ABP for IE does try to block content, but maybe it's not as successful as in Firefox or Chrome, because IE does not provide the necessary browser APIs for that sort of thing.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
ent!ty

Post by ent!ty »

Ah, okay. I just wondered why it still load ads from server, even if I have enabled ABP. The scenario is: I open IE with ABP disabled and load a page. Then I enable ABP and refresh the page. It seems to still set some cookies etc. from various banners loaded, although they are hidden in the DOM. Maybe its a cache-thing. And my mistake, it is IE11, not Edge :)