Corporate Proxy Support

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
Clete2

Corporate Proxy Support

Post by Clete2 »

I am running ABP for IE and I am behind a corporate proxy. Is there any way I can configure ABP for IE to use the proxy? (Why else would I use IE? :roll:)

patterns.ini has an error listed in it, stating that it cannot retrieve the EasyList list.
mapx

Re: Corporate Proxy Support

Post by mapx »

You should use some vpn tunneling account (port 443) to push all the traffic on that port. You can get 1 at 2-3 euro (monthly). For example https://www.torvpn.com/en/vpn
mapx

Post by mapx »

Alternative: grab your patterns.ini file from your pc at home (preferably patterns.ini prepared in firefox with all your lists + custom filters) and replace that 1 in ABP for IE at job.
Clete2

Post by Clete2 »

Your first suggestion would be completely against our corporate policy, and there would be no way that I could do that without getting fired. I was able to get it working by getting a copy of the patterns.ini file.

With this hack of a solution, I won't get continual block list updates. I was hoping that there could be a feature request for ABP-IE to support proxies in the future.

At home I use ABP on Chrome and it works just great. :)
mapx

Post by mapx »

it's not a true vpn but redirecting the traffic on 443 (using putty for example or ssh from windows). ssh tunneling.
Clete2

Post by Clete2 »

Still disallowed here. We have some very strict software policies, and there's no way they would approve that. I had to submit a request and have it reviewed by another team to even get permission to install ABP for IE. I'm just thankful I was able to install ABP, because my IE was abysmally slow without it.

Anyway I can continue to update manually as-needed. Just thought it would be nice.