[pinned sites] ABP not working when launching a desktop link

Post by oldairmail »

Details;
Windows 10 Pro, NOT an upgrade.
Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.212.10586.0 - pinned to the "Task Bar"
IE 11 is the default - NOT Microsoft Edge
Several hundred shortcuts across three monitors using Stardock Fences

Problem
If I click on the "pinned" Internet Explorer, AdBlock Plus works as it should. BTW - "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" is checked.

If I double click on a desktop shortcut, Internet Explorer starts and opens the link, but AdBlock Plus IS NOT showing on the "status bar", and is NOT working.

In short
AdBlock Plus will, or will not, work in the same version of Internet Explorer 11, depending on how Internet Explorer is launched.

Opening a link from the desktop, AND Internet Explorer on the task bar, I can check Tools/"Manage add-ons" in both copies of Internet Explorer.

AdBlock Plus shows Enabled on both copies of IE, BUT only works in the one launched from the task bar.

If I dis-enable AdBlock Plus on either one, and check Tools/"Manage add-ons" on the other it too will be dis-enabled. Re-enable on one, and the other IE window shows that AdBlock Plus is enabled, BUT not showing on the "status bar".

On the IE launched from the pinned icon on the task bar I can go to your test site, http://simple-adblock.com/faq/testing-your-adblocker/, and it shows Tested OK.

If I start IE from a desktop link, and go to http://simple-adblock.com/faq/testing-your-adblocker/, I see Not working.

I tested both Internet Explores (at the same time) using a link from this post ADBP 1.5.0.0 on IE 11 not blocking YouTube in-video adds ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzQ8Zqwrjek) ).

The IE launched from the task bar blocked the ad.

Using IE that was started from a desktop link did not.

When I dragged that link from the IE window to the one with AdBlock Plus working, the ad was blocked.

I've used the latest CCleaner to clean the computer and the IE cache. I also used it to check the registry and correct any problems.

I have disabled all other add-ons but that made no difference.

I used the Internet Explorer from the task bar, where AdBlock does work, to drag and drop a link onto the desktop. It immediately open up in Internet Explorer, and AdBlock DOES NOT work.

I re-downloaded AdBlock Plus and tried to reinstall it. Not possible without uninstalling it.

Most programs permit you to "repair" the instillation. Not possible, Repair is grayed out.

At this point I'm not very happy with AdBlock Plus.

A customer should not have to spend hours playing Sherlock Holmes to use your program.
mapx

Re: AdBlock Plus NOT working when launching an IE desktop link

Post by mapx »

It's about IE and not about ABP
forum/viewtopic.php?p=141764#p141764
oldairmail

Post by oldairmail »

Details;
Windows 10 Pro, NOT an upgrade.
Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.212.10586.0 - pinned to the "Task Bar"
IE 11 is the default - NOT Microsoft Edge
Several hundred shortcuts across three monitors[/color] using Stardock Fences
So....

Your answer is to recreate all of the desktop links?

We usually buy utilities to overcome the flaws and weakness of the operating system.

I should have tried before I paid. Live and learn.

I suppose that I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Last edited by oldairmail on Sun May 08, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You don't understand: it's not an ABP issue, it's a IE fact.
oldairmail

Post by oldairmail »

Lets talk about Stardock Fences.

It overcomes Windows limited options for placement of links, icons, and programs.

If I had a few dozen desktop links, your solution would be workable. I understand that.

I also realize that I'm probably in the minority in both the number of monitors and desktop links/icons that I use.

When I used AdBlock Plus years ago, it did exactly what I needed.

Now, it no longer does.

It's a great product, but one that I won't be buying again
mapx

Post by mapx »

Lets talk about Stardock Fences.

It overcomes Windows limited options for placement of links, icons, and programs.
Well, ask Stardock Fences "thing" to create normal links and not pinned ones.

read here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... evelopment
I have an addon that works fine normally, however I've just noticed that if a user launches IE from a 'Pinned Site Shortcut' then my addon is not loaded. When I go to Tools > Manage Add-ons the addon is listed and shown as Enabled, but it doesn't seem like it's loaded or executed.
Correct. Pinned Sites do not allow add-ons. There is no override.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011 ... sites.aspx
So, if that sort of link avoids any kind of addon, how can you think ABP could do such a thing ?

btw, ABP for IE is a free addon.
oldairmail

Post by oldairmail »

"btw, ABP for IE is a free addon."

My mistake, my old computer crashed. I bought Win 10 Pro, and am still setting it up.

Due to lack of a proper backup I lost many utilities that I had paid for, and I've been paying for a few of them again.

Too much going on, you might say.

"Well, ask Stardock Fences "thing" to create normal links and not pinned ones."

Stardock Fences provides a way to overcome the, almost total, lack of desktop organization. Simply that, and nothing else. It doesn't create internet links.

I used Stardock only as a reference to highlight that many people/companies write software to overcome limitations in the Windows operating system.

"So, if that sort of link avoids any kind of addon, how can you think ABP could do such a thing ?"

Think outside of the box, of course.

You, yourself, gave me the answer in your first reply. I just had to think about it for a minute or two.

"You have to create normal internet links. When you want create one, just press shift when you drag the link on desktop.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... a8fe22f221"

Most of my links are for references; i.e. specific look-ups rather than surfing.

For those links, I'm not concerned with ads. In fact, I'm quite willing to accept them. None carry offensive ads anyway.

The solution lies in the ten or so links where I might branch off and "surf" the web.

THOSE are the ones that need to be recreated with the Shift-Drag & drop method.

In the end, you did provide me with a solution, thank you.

P.S. - for any others with the same problem: Make sure that you press the Shift key BEFORE dragging the address block icon or it won't work correctly.