Adblock Plus for IE...bug? Or just underdesigned?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
Dr H

Adblock Plus for IE...bug? Or just underdesigned?

Post by Dr H »

Hello,

I've used Adblock Plus for well over a year with Firefox, and been quite happy with it. It blocks 90+% of what I want blocked, and I am able to create my own list "on the fly" adding additional popups and frames that I want it to block in the future.

Adblock for IE, well, not so much. My chief complaint is that this doesn't seem to be nearly as configurable as the version for Firefox. My choice of "settings" here consists of two items: selecting a pre-defined "list", or allowing particular items on the list to come through. There doesn't seem to be any way to add additional individual items TO the list; certainly no quick, obvious way as with the Firefox version.

This has become an issue, because in IE Adblock is barely half as effective as with Firefox. I'm getting a lot of popups "bleeding through", that are successfully blocked in Firefox. Yet there doesn't seem to be any way for me to add these popups to the Adblock list.

Am I missing something here?

TIA.
mapx

Re: Adblock Plus for IE...bug? Or just underdesigned?

Post by mapx »

Yes, ABP for IE does not have all the features ABP provides in FF/ chrome. It's very difficult to work in IE (microsoft limitations, the implementation is quite a hack).

To add other filters, see workaround:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=40736

However, you can use chrome, firefox and now (after the last updates microsoft is pushing in windows 10) edge will have an ABP implementation (which is 90% the same chrome version).