anniversary update & ABP freezes pages

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
mapx

Re: anniversary update & ABP freezes pages

Post by mapx »

only the devs could respond, so eventually add a comment there on bug tracker (in the opened ticket), but ... in the middle there were / are the holidays and it seems a difficult to reproduce issue.
steve_richards06

Post by steve_richards06 »

I've noticed that it seems to be happening on pages that refresh themselves such as http://www.mlb.com . when it tries to refresh by its self I get an error message that says page not responding
Gooseman

Post by Gooseman »

same here page loaded very slowly and after choosing on that page a link then needed every time F5 to restart the page before it loaded normaly , after uninstalling adblock plus all worked normal again???
dkrew33

Post by dkrew33 »

I'm having the same problem on the desktop computer. Win 10/1607, 64-bit. Worked just fine before the 1607 update I did a few days ago. Numerous pages freeze after a bit, there is no pattern to this problem.

I have another computer, a laptop, also running Win 10/1607 64-bit that doesn't seem to have the problem. But it's not my main computer so maybe I'm just not using it enough to see any problems.

EDIT: The member side of usaa.com is one site that will fail every time. Unfortunately it requires USAA membership.
RJC_UK

Post by RJC_UK »

I am in the UK and have just upgraded W10 Anniversary and am suffering similar problems on IE 11. Not sure if Adblock Plus is the problem as difficult to make it lock up in that way when wanted.
Can anyone try the following to help determine things?

In IE11 Manage Add Ons disable Adblock Plus and enable instead Tracking with 'list' setting to Automatically Block the Personal List already there.

I think you will need to completely close then reopen IE11 to stop Adblock from running (if you look on Status Bar, bottom right you can see if Adblock is running and the 'tracking' will show up as a blue circle like icon in in the address window (top left) when blocking things).

Does this stop the locking described?

I have no idea how the tracking protection compares with Adblock but should perform similarly.

I also have Adblock running with both FireFox and now Edge but have not seen same error with these so far.
magic144

Post by magic144 »

Thanks @RJC_UK - forgot about TPLs!

Will revert to trying that again whilst ABP plugin is investigated.
(Currently using the EasyList TPL @ http://easylist-msie.adblockplus.org/easylist.tpl)
I think this is what is called 'EasyList Standard' and is "based on the popular EasyList subscription for Adblock Plus", here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/iegallery

I did re-try ABP after the latest couple of Windows Updates, but still ran into the hanging issue.

I'll report back (here and in bug-tracker) if TPL using EasyList ends up causing same issue.
RJC_UK

Post by RJC_UK »

So far I have not bothered to look for any particular 'list'. You can obviously finf and download all sorts of variants. My version of IE11 already included a 'personalised list (their spelling) and I have just used that foe the present.

I am not too concerned on 'what is listed' so much as determining if this problem still comes up.

So far still not certain!
RJC_UK

Post by RJC_UK »

I have been running for well over 24 hours with Tracking protection instead of Adblock Plus and do not appear to have seen the problem in IE11!

Just tried http://www.johnlewis.com/ with Adblock enabled and certainly seemed to lock up and sometimes took a long time to load - regularly requesting a Refresh via menu or F5 seemed to sometimes trigger the lock.

With Adblock disabled but tracking protection appears to not have similar problem.

Still not convinced but evidence is certainly increasing things!

Any comments?
rfsmith7

Post by rfsmith7 »

One of the sites I use regularly is http://www.bbc.co.uk/news. As it carries no advertising - at least if you view from the UK - I have it disabled in ABP, but I've found it still occasionally freezes.

Another symptom I've found is that on some sites embedded pictures do not show when ABP is enabled, implying it's blocking these thinking they're adverts.

However I'm running with ABP on because the pain of all the adverts is worse than the freezing: usually I can see it's frozen before it times out, and either refresh the page or click away and back.
magic144

Post by magic144 »

@RJC_UK

I also have had no similar lockups or freezes when ABP is disabled and I am relying solely on the enabled ABP EasyList TPL.

However this is not as comprehensive a solution as having ABP 'proper' up and running (still currently set to Disable Everywhere), so am still keen for this issue to be tracked down and fixed.

I have http://www.bbc.com/news as my IE homepage (but am outside the UK), but never did narrow down a repeatable browsing activity to trigger the freezes.

Fingers crossed...
rfsmith7

Post by rfsmith7 »

Now two months since the problem was first reported. Any indications yet as to when this will be resolved?