anniversary update & ABP freezes pages

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
jrp616

anniversary update & ABP freezes pages

Post by jrp616 »

I've been using ABP with IE11 for a year or more with no issues. Since recently installing the Win10 anniversary update, I'm finding a wide variety of web pages freeze up partially loaded. Through trial & error, I find this problem goes away if I disable ABP. anyone else seeing this issue after recent win10 update?
mapx

Re: anniversary update & ABP freezes pages

Post by mapx »

example pages ?
jrp616

Post by jrp616 »

mapx wrote:example pages ?
all types of pages, its not limited to any specific pages. yahoo, google, Microsoft, cnn, youtube, facebook, etc etc

the page will partially load, then freeze, then timeout and give the "xyz.com has stopped responding"
never had this issue before the anniversary update and as soon as I disable ABP, it goes back to normal behavior
mapx

Post by mapx »

No issues for me on such sites.

Could be your antivirus somehow interacts with IE + ABP ? (if you are using some other antivirus and not windows defender)

Did you test also chrome + ABP, firefox + ABP or edge + ABP ?
jrp616

Post by jrp616 »

mapx wrote:No issues for me on such sites.

Could be your antivirus somehow interacts with IE + ABP ? (if you are using some other antivirus and not windows defender)

Did you test also chrome + ABP, firefox + ABP or edge + ABP ?
do you have the win10 anniversary update installed?

I uninstalled my anti virus program and switched to Defender, no change.

I have no interest in other browsers. I've been using IE for 21 yrs, next week, and only interested in getting my IE to work correctly with ABP again with the latest win 10 update.
As annoying as the ads are, having every other web page freeze up while loading is more annoying. So I guess I'll dump ABP until they get this fixed.
Once again as soon as I disable ABP everything works normal as it has for the last year on the same PC with the same software running. This issue only started immediately after installing the win 10 anniversary update.
mapx

Post by mapx »

do you have the win10 anniversary update installed?
sure.

I asked you to test other browsers because could be a generally issue in your system (other users in other forums reported problems with other programs after anniversary patch).
magic144

Post by magic144 »

YES, I saw the same issue after updating to W10 Anniversary Update (W10 Home, 64-bit) - and I too (independently) came to the same realization that disabling ABP stopped the freezing/hanging of IE11.

By 'disabled', I mean I've set it to 'Disabled Everywhere' in its config, not that it's been totally disabled as an extension in IE altogether.

Hope this can be addressed, I don't want to have to install 3 different browsers either.
mapx

Post by mapx »

well, just report the issue on the bug tracker:
https://issues.adblockplus.org
magic144

Post by magic144 »

DjAnus

Post by DjAnus »

Hi, I got the same problem. After anniversary update IE freezes randomly. Pls fix.
rfsmith7

Post by rfsmith7 »

I have this problem constantly on all 3 of my PCs ever since I installed the Windows 10 AU (level 1607). The problem has been reported on the Windows 10 Forum here and 11 people have reported on this thread that they too have the issue -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/f ... 282039a458

I have found that I get the problem on a website even though it's been disabled. Disabling the add-in also does not fully resolved the problem - only uninstalling ABP completely resolves the issue. My wife suffered a lot particularly when browsing these couple of websites:
http://www.johnlewis.com/
http://www.debenhams.com/

I also had the problem here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news - even though this website does not carry advertising (if you're in the UK) and the web-site was disabled in ABP. On the MS forum thread I have documented the extended Windows error report which may provide some additional information.
mapx

Post by mapx »

please comment directly on bug tracker

I added there the last @rfsmith7 comment.
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4320#comment:6
rfsmith7

Post by rfsmith7 »

Thanks Mapx. I can't see how to add comments to the bug tracker. Trawling through my Windows logs I've also found this

Faulting application name: AdblockPlusEngine.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x56017eff
Faulting module name: AdblockPlusEngine.exe, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x56017eff
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002ccda0
Faulting process ID: 0x778
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f3f27fdd1aa9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adblock Plus for IE\AdblockPlusEngine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adblock Plus for IE\AdblockPlusEngine.exe
Report ID: 1c94b149-6490-41cf-b91c-8bd744149fe6
mapx

Post by mapx »

you have to register on the bug tracker.
rfsmith7

Post by rfsmith7 »

Hi there - any indications yet as to when a fix might be available?