W10 64bit - Ie11 - ABP 1.6

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
dsmacdo

W10 64bit - Ie11 - ABP 1.6

Post by dsmacdo »

Hi,

I've been having a lot of problems with multiples pages either taking hoards of time to load, IE stating that a script is taking too long or basically IE crashing while attempting to load the pages.

This issue is very noticeable on media driven sites/pages such as MSN.com, CBC.ca and the list goes on and on. Whether the sites are in the whitelist or not, the issue is still present yet ever so slightly less so. These pages all seem to load without issue Chrome & ABP.

I've have uninstalled, reset IE to defaults, cleaned with CCleaner, rebooted and re-installed to no avail. This is happening on several workstations.

Though I cannot assure you of this, I believe that this is also having an impact when new Windows & IE updates are being installed. When updating, I am losing all of my settings IE settings. I suspect that ABP may be interfering somehow, provoking timeout delays during the patching and in turn causing the patch reset IE to default. I did not lose my setting on one of my systems and it did not have ABP.

I believe that the culprit is related to IE's Protected Mode; disabling it seems to resolve the issue for me as the pages load normally despite having ABP active and this without any specific additional whitelisting. Is this a known issue/conflict or normal per se.

Win 10 Home 64bit version 10.0.14393 build 14393
IE 11.576.14393.0 9 update 11.0.38
ABP for IE 1.6 with Easylist and allow some non-intrusive allowed

Thanks for any guidance.
mapx

Re: W10 64bit - Ie11 - ABP 1.6

Post by mapx »

You should add your experience here (on the bug tracker)
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4320
dsmacdo

Post by dsmacdo »

mapx wrote:You should add your experience here (on the bug tracker)
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4320
Thanks mapx ... I'm a newcomer and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do so but I will try
mapx

Post by mapx »

You have to register another account there
dsmacdo

Post by dsmacdo »

mapx wrote:You have to register another account there
Took me a few tries but ultimately managed...Thanks again.

As I am using multiple lines of defence on my system, I'm not overly concerned with running IE in "Unprotected" mode. However, as I also help a lot of my family and friends out, I now will tell them to ditch ABP for IE at this time as I am not sure how risky "unprotected mode" is and I am getting quiet tired of their calls re this issue.
mapx

Post by mapx »

or just tell them to use chrome + ABP. Chrome is the safest browser (and ABP can use advanced features there - due to open nature of chrome). IE is the last one.
dsmacdo

Post by dsmacdo »

mapx wrote:or just tell them to use chrome + ABP. Chrome is the safest browser (and ABP can use advanced features there - due to open nature of chrome). IE is the last one.
@Mapx Good response but I'm dealing with multiple users whose basic PC understanding is quite limited and any change to their desktops creates havoc for ME. So, I selfishly counsel those that are comfortable enough with using another browser, to do so. Unfortunately for some of them, this is not a realistic option.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Well, right. When I help someone (clean systems with hundreds of threats / virus / malware) the second thing (after cleaning + installing a decent antivirus) is installing / re-enabling chrome, installing the adblocker (with malware domains list too), set it as default browser (and blocking IE). Then some advices / lesson about using the new browser and ...that's it. :roll:

(and they are accepting the new situation because ... all I do for them it's free :mrgreen: )
dsmacdo

Post by dsmacdo »

UPDATE: Resolved for me

I have managed to track down the issue in my case (or so I believe) as I finally have a stable IE11 in protected mode and Ad Block Plus for IE running. I believe that during a W10 update that the ACL to a couple of folders became corrupt.

This is how I corrected the issue on my system:

Uninstall ABP.

run the following commands within the user's context
icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L
icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L
icacls "%userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft\Internet Explorer" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L

Reboot & once completed on all the user's accounts, re-install ABP.

While this appears to have been enough, I also opted to go the extra mile prior to reinstalling ABP

(Within an administrative command window)

I ran

chckdsk /f c:
sfc scannnow
and finally,
dism /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Rebooted

Should there be any lingering issues, a reset of Internet Explorer might be required.

Please note that I am not an expert but my issue is certainly resolved by having done these steps and hope that it can help others. (For those using images for building your workstations, have a look in the default user's profile, the above appdata\microsoft paths should not exist as far as I know. I would remove the folders if found there.)