ABP Causing IE11 crash

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
jlinares

ABP Causing IE11 crash

Post by jlinares »

We have about 500 users, and as far as we can tell, all have the same experience. So far I have been able to reproduce this issue on demand.
We are using ABP 1.5 with IE11 v11.0.9600.18230 on Windows 7 x64.
When a user opens up multiple pages from the Lexis.com/research site in separate IE tabs, (for example: https://www.lexis.com/research/form/byC ... 72cd5f1b5d and https://www.lexis.com/research/retrieve ... cd7aa5e80a) IE crashes. IE crashes sometimes after scrolling through one of the pages or clicking on a button or link, but it ALWAYS crashes upon closing one of the IE tabs. This is reproducible every time.

Looking at the event logs for the IE crash, the following is returned -
Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.18231, time stamp: 0x56b8edd6
Faulting module name: AdblockPlus32.dll, version: 1.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x56017e35
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000100ec
Faulting process id: 0x2578
Faulting application start time: 0x01d286086e5d6ae3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adblock Plus for IE\AdblockPlus32.dll
Report Id: 3dd0302c-f200-11e6-92df-76c50d591c13

We have the site whitelisted and I can confirm that the ABP icon is grayed out when the crash occurs. If I disable ABP altogether, IE does not crash so it's safe to say ABP is the culprit here.
I am in a law firm environment and Lexis.com is used by many of our users for legal research on a daily basis. It is not very convenient that IE crashes when doing intense research and IE does not always recover well from these crashes. It ends up wasting time and when you have hundreds of users affected who bill hundreds of dollars an hour, the impact is easily quantifiable. Please advise, thank you.
mapx

Re: ABP Causing IE11 crash

Post by mapx »

you should report the issue on the bug tracker (you have to register another account there)

https://issues.adblockplus.org
jlinares

Post by jlinares »

It looks like this particular issue is resolved in version 1.6. I tested it running 1.6 on my pc and was not able to reproduce the IE crashing.
kwtskirk

Post by kwtskirk »

Verified here. Version 1.6 is still not working correctly and causing IE-11 to crash on most (not all) workstations. It will cause the browser to hang then causes auto recovery of the page. On sites such as Fox News Video, it will causes the previews to show a status icon where it's attempting to load the preview then just shows blank spaces where the preview icons "should" have been. This behavior has also been noted on MSN.com and various other sites. This appears to only be a problem in Windows 10 environments (at least as far as I can tell, it works normally in Windows 7). It's a shame that there appears to be no support for this product (forums are not support!).
dsmacdo

Post by dsmacdo »

@kwtskirk
I have managed to track down the issue in my case (or so I believe) as I finally have a stable IE11 in protected mode and Ad Block Plus for IE running. I believe that during a W10 update that the ACL to a couple of folders became corrupt.

This is how I corrected the issue on my system:

Uninstall ABP.
run the following commands within the user's context
icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L
icacls %userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L
icacls "%userprofile%\appdata\locallow\microsoft\Internet Explorer" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)L

Reboot & once completed on all the user's accounts, re-install ABP.

While this appears to have been enough, I also opted to go the extra mile prior to reinstalling ABP

(Within an administrative command window)

I ran

chckdsk /f c:
sfc scannnow
and finally,
dism /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Rebooted.

Should there be any lingering issues, a reset of Internet Explorer might be required.

Please note that I am not an expert but my issue is certainly resolved by having done these steps and hope that it can help others.

(P.S. If the workstations are being built with an image and this is happening to newly created users, you may need to verify whether the default profile is the root cause. The above folders should not exist in that profile)