Taboola whitelisting too annoying, turned off acceptable ads

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.

Taboola whitelisting too annoying, turned off acceptable ads

Postby abpuser621 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 am

Countless users have voiced dissatisfaction in this forum regarding Taboola ads. I've asked whether it's possible to block all of those without disabling acceptable ads and the answer seems to be no. I tried to disable the Taboola whitelist rules, but that seems to be something that will require constant maintenance, since I just saw another Taboola ad, "Say Goodbye To Back Pain With This Cool Trick", with Bane holding up a bent guy with crudely drawn red arrows pointing to his back.

I have provided the feedback before. Others have provided the feedback before (I think there are like 5 threads on it on the first page of the acceptable ads discussion forum), the answer always was some vague dodging around that amounted to "sure, but we're not changing it". It is of course your right to make that decision, but it is mine to stop participating in the acceptable ads progam. I hope the money eyeo makes from them is really good because in the long term, these ads will destroy your business model just like the practices of the ad industry caused adblockers to spawn.

Just providing this feedback one last time, hoping that there is still some sense left.
abpuser621

Re: Taboola whitelisting too annoying, turned off acceptable ads

Postby mapx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:11 am

just try
Code: Select all
||taboola.com^
mapx

Postby rmzalbar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:26 pm

I want to support the websites that produce content that interests me so that they continue to generate it.

I'm not willing to be subjected to deceptive, obnoxious, insulting, or offensive ad content.

Taboola and Outbrain are the reason I disable the Acceptable Ads filter.

Taboola and Outbrain are harming ad revenue by destroying the credibility of the Acceptable Ads whitelist and its participants. Of course I can add a custom Taboola filter, and I have. However, I soon realized that if Taboola is considered "acceptable," then other content the list allows likely does not meet minimum standards of acceptability either, so I disabled the entire thing to save myself the aggravation.

Stupid ads = reduced revenue distributed among Acceptable Ads participants. It's very, very simple: Kick the scum out of your club or I won't have anything to do with you. I've already disabled my Acceptable Ads filter. Ball in your court.
rmzalbar

Postby JoshDL » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:34 am

I am also disabling all ads until Taboola is excluded. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy... than the typical Taboola ad panel.

I cannot believe that these ads are still legal in the year 2017, much less that they are exempted from a default AdBlock install. They are offensive to my being. As a regular donor to content creators I enjoy, I don't feel bad blocking all ads to rid myself (and, I hope, eventually the world) of these disgusting affronts to humanity. In fact, I actively support the dismantling of any website that would willfully display Taboola ads. I believe most do so on accident, because their ads are served by a separate party that happens to include Taboola.

There are five companies in this world I hate more than Taboola. Only one is an advertising company. That company is Criteo, and somehow, they are ALSO on this list. This is outrageous. But Criteo's ads are actually spot on; it's their ethics that are questionable. So...

For now, how about we wipe Taboola from the face of the earth? Let's start with the AdBlock whitelist.

Peace and love.
JoshDL

Postby ttulinsky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:08 am

Just wanted to second this. Taboola and its cousins are the worst ads on the web, along with autoplaying videos. An Acceptable Ads program is useless if it does not block them.
ttulinsky

Return to Acceptable Ads discussion