ads are intrusive on gutefrage.net

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
yckac

ads are intrusive on gutefrage.net

Post by yckac »

Hi,

please remove gutefrage.net (German site) from the non-intrusive list.
It was added in forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13463 – however I cannot add topics in that board, so I'm posting here.

Have a look at http://www.gutefrage.net/frage/wohnung- ... rchlueften
The ads are right in the middle of the text content. I am having a hard time finding the real text between all the ads. Some of the white boxes contain three words of original content and one huge ad. Some other boxes contain nothing but ads.

If you use easy list and the German easy list and turn off the non-intrusive thingy, then the site is readable.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: ads are intrusive on gutefrage.net

Post by greiner »

Thank you for spotting that. I reopened the proposal. We are currently in talks with them to solve this issue and in case they're not willing to change anything we will remove them from the whitelist.
yckac2

Post by yckac2 »

Don't feel the need to rush anything. That site (gutefrage) sucks anyway. It contains the dumbest users of the German internet. The only reason I sometimes visit the page is because it turns up in google for whatever the fuck you are searching. So, if they are paying a good buck, why should you remove them from the white list even for the most "intrusive" ads?
guest7377

Post by guest7377 »

what happend?

still talking?
these ads are clearly very hard to distinguish from the actual content and interfer otherwise with the Acceptable Ads "rules", especialy the hyperlink and positioning part.

"For pages featuring a reading text ads should not be placed in the middle, where they interrupt the reading flow. However, they can be placed above the text content, below it or on the sides."
"In texts, not more than 2 percent of the words can be hyperlinked for monetization purposes. "

sorry for my bad english
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Just a quick update on this topic just to keep you up-to-date and to reassure you that we are aware of this issue and that we do consider it pressing.

This is the first time we were confronted with such behavior so we are currently defining a process for every Acceptable Ads partner to follow in case something like that happens again with some other website. Secondly, we've been in talks with gutefrage.net and they promised to improve their ads which is why we gave them some time to implement the necessary changes. However, it's still not where it should be which is why we've now set a hard deadline until which those changes have to be made.
guest7377

Post by guest7377 »

thank you for your fast reply.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Big companies tend to move very slowly but finally, we got them to move their ads, which were previously placed right inside the question, to the bottom.

Please let us know what you think about the change in the proposal:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13463
yckac

Post by yckac »

Looks fine now.

However in the meantime, because of this issue, we have changed the settings on all our workstations to block "acceptable ads".

Post by guest »

As I understood, the exception rules for gutefrage.net have remained in the acceptable ads whitelist during the many many months these ads were actually "not acceptable".

What about, when such case happens again for another website, giving it a fixed period (1 month) to change its ads to make them "acceptable" again, and if its not fixed in that period, removing it from the acceptable ad whitelist, until its ads eventually meet the "acceptable ads" criteria?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

For future cases we are going to set a strict deadline of two weeks before they're being taken of the list if they don't comply. We haven't announced this change yet but we will soon on our website.

gutefrage was the first case of this kind and we didn't have a proper process for that in place yet.
LeBaux

Post by LeBaux »

Jesus the site is prime example of obtrusive ads... remove it.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

LeBaux wrote:Jesus the site is prime example of obtrusive ads... remove it.
They do have many more ads than just those we unblock so which ads in particular do you find obtrusive? You can check that by going to the site with Adblock Plus enabled and "show non-intrusive ads" checked.