What if I consider YouTube video ads acceptable?

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Sephlington

What if I consider YouTube video ads acceptable?

Post by Sephlington »

I'm fine with video ads, as they provide some revenue to the people who provide content. I'm willing to sit through a 20-30 second video, and sometimes they're even amusing. But when I logged on to YouTube today, I saw it plastered with the kind of tacky adverts you see on badly built old websites, with garish downloads for cursors and even a "millionth visitor" ad. Apparently I was YouTube's millionth visitor. Who'da thunk it? So, I finally caved and installed ADP.

I'd prefer it if the existent form of Acceptable Ads was a default setting, but I could have the option to allow certain types of ads as Acceptable. Text-based adverts are fine, but flashy colourful adverts are not. Adverts that pop up on the side or bottom randomly and start playing a video are annoying, but certain people might want to contribute back to content providers and allow pre-loader adverts on YouTube. Is that even the remotest possibility, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
lewisje

Re: What if I consider YouTube video ads acceptable?

Post by lewisje »

Feel free to set up a whitelist subscription that individually targets the major examples of unobtrusive video ads; maybe Eyeo would like the idea so much that they alter the criteria for the Acceptable Ads Initiative.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Meeeps

Post by Meeeps »

in fact, I use Adblock exclusively for Youtube videos. (installed adblock, removed subscription to Easylist and added manually YT Video link only). The issue I have with it is, that it consumes time and repeats the same add quite a lot, also the chances are very high, you get foreign language or topics, which are of no interest.
Meeeps

Post by Meeeps »

and yes, I feel very sorry for the content uploader, I hope, they will introduce a kind Premium Service, where you could donate to uploader.
skysam

Post by skysam »

Meeeps wrote: The issue I have with it is, that it consumes time and repeats the same add quite a lot, also the chances are very high, you get foreign language or topics, which are of no interest.
Very true. Which I find strange considering how accurate Google are elsewhere.
SoGrah

Post by SoGrah »

Sephlington wrote: Apparently I was YouTube's millionth visitor. Who'da thunk it?
I was once too! :lol:
CarrotTop

Post by CarrotTop »

Personally, I'd like to go a bit further/smarter than this. I love to provide ad revenue to the youtube (and twitch, and blip and ustream and vimeo and whatever other companies are out there these days), but the point where the ads on these sites becomes annoying to me is when I see the same ad over and over again.

I'd prefer an option where I could say "I am willing to see each ad on youtube once in a six hour period. Every other time that same ad shows up in that six hour period, block it." If they get a wider range of advertising, I'll watch more ads. I like the ads often too. Worst part is definitely when I'm watching a trailer for X on youtube and the advert is an advert for that same X... logic poeples!
tredbobek

Post by tredbobek »

I only hate ads that pop up, or ads like the 30 sec video at the start of a youtube video. It's annoying, and for example, when I'm listening to a playlist, I don't want it to be interrupted with a freakin ad., while I'm driving my tank :D but the ads near the video (flashing, or text based, doesn't matter), I don't mind those.