Interested in being whitelisted

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
ppayne

Interested in being whitelisted

Post by ppayne »

Hi, my name is Peter Payne and I run J-List, a fairly well known anime/otaku website and blog that's been around since 1996. I am wondering what the chances of getting my ads whitelisted might be. We are an anime shop with an affiliate program that's quite popular with small anime blogs, but the chance of most anime fans running adblock 100% of the time is very high, thanks to abuse by some sites (I'm looking at you, myanimelist.net). This means that most blogs can't even make a shred of income from ads like our affiliate ads, and they always seem to disappear within 1-2 years.

Our ads are display ads that show anime products including Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Japanese snacks and so on. We also sell adult products, so if the site in question choose to show these ads (they have full control over this based on their readership), non-offensive ads for adult products such as Tengas or ads with "fun" adult content, such as a sexy figure, are displayed. Our goal is to find memes that people will respond to and show these ads, and the response is usually good. Our ads are also on 4chan, and there are complaints if the ads are placed temporarily by other sites, since people like the jokes and references we put in the banners.

Some examples of our ads are below. You may need to turn off adblock if they don't display ^_^

So my question is, how might we go about getting some or all of our ads added to the whitelist system?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Interested in being whitelisted

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

Please see the following question answered in the FAQ:
:arrow: en/acceptable-ads#application
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

One question I have is, how could anyone make "text only" ads? A text only ad saying "Sailor Moon, click here" would be kind of ineffective for all involved.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

I don't quite understand the question. I would think anyone remotely familiar with the Internet is acquainted with text ads, like those accompanying the search results on Google. Google Adwords was launched all the way back in 2000 and many sites reduced or eliminated distracting ads to follow suit. This is the kind of change that Adblock Plus hopes to effect with the Acceptable Ads feature.

In any case, as you can see from the criteria page, while text ads are preferred, static ads are the only strict requirement.