what is the best way to identify an adblock user?

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
angularJSpatrick

what is the best way to identify an adblock user?

Post by angularJSpatrick »

Hi, I'm interested in throwing a helpful error message to users of an application that I work on to explain why major functionality is impaired due to use of adblock. I'd like to pop a message similar to our unsupported browser or JS-disabled messages that also prevent proper application functionality. Can someone point me in the right direction for identifying an adblock user across browsers? Google search results for this topic appear to be slightly malicious in intent, I just want to let people know why the app is broken for them.
Gingerbread Man

Re: what is the best way to identify an adblock user?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

You don't actually detect Adblock Plus, you detect that your content hasn't loaded. So the first thing you do is put an element on the page that will be hidden by a filter rule in EasyList, e.g. <div id="header_ad">, then you have your script check if the element is visible.

For more details, search stackoverflow.com; it's been asked several times there.
Frank B

Post by Frank B »

angularJSpatrick wrote:Hi, I'm interested in throwing a helpful error message to users of an application that I work on to explain why major functionality is impaired due to use of adblock. I'd like to pop a message similar to our unsupported browser or JS-disabled messages that also prevent proper application functionality. Can someone point me in the right direction for identifying an adblock user across browsers? Google search results for this topic appear to be slightly malicious in intent, I just want to let people know why the app is broken for them.
Why don't you make your software so that major functionality is NOT impaired if people adblock it?
austin11

Post by austin11 »

There is no straight forward way to figure out if your users have adblock on. One of the ways to find out is if your blog has a lot of traffic, but your ad impressions are showing otherwise. The next sure-fire way to figuring it out is by redirecting a user with ad-block or showing them a specific image. Tracking the views of either the redirected page or replacement image will give you a clearer picture.