Acceptable ads and Google search

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
namename

Acceptable ads and Google search

Post by namename »

I was reading over the acceptable ads policy, and the following bullet really concerns me, emphasis added:
When ads are placed above the content of a main page, they should not require the user to scroll down. The available vertical space is likely to be at least 700 pixels. Advertising should not occupy more than one-third of that height. Paid search results on search pages are allowed to occupy more space, but they should never outnumber organic results.
It is quite obvious that the exception is aimed at google, who frequently has ads at the top of the pages which are very much obtrusive by sometimes being all that is visible above the fold, especially on smaller monitors. I'm not comfortable there being a rule to appease a single company, even it that company pays Adblock Plus's bills.
Till
ABP CEO

Re: Acceptable ads and Google search

Post by Till »

First, let me to stress that won't ever be an exception rule just for one company, the criteria allow equal access for everyone. The rule you mentioned applies to all search engines and according to all data we have found, users aren't bothered by search ads in general.

We are constantly working on improving the criteria and we will take your feedback into consideration when we propose another update shortly.

Thanks!
Till