Ethical issues

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
trlkly

Ethical issues

Post by trlkly »

It is well known that Google pays you to develop this feature, which is why the primary form of "acceptable ads" belong to Google. That's how you make money.

But providing them a way to make money is unethical considering how they unfairly treated Adblock Plus in the Google Play store. You claim not to support them, yet you are still directly paying them money.

One of the main reasons I use Adblock Plus, besides for security, is to block people who do things like this, so that I am not paying them money. It is unethically for me to financially support a troll or similar. The same goes for you. It is unethical for you to support a store that unethically abused their own rules to kick you out of their store.

Even Mozilla is finally getting away from Google. You need to do the same. Or is money worth more to you? If so, you're no better than the advertisers.
DennyT99

Re: Ethical issues

Post by DennyT99 »

No doubt, that's a comparatively weird discussion.
lewisje

Re: Ethical issues

Post by lewisje »

trlkly wrote:It is well known that Google pays you to develop this feature, which is why the primary form of "acceptable ads" belong to Google.
That is widely, yet incorrectly, rumored, and the reason so many of the acceptable ads are Google ads is that it serves plenty of non-annoying text-based ads and it's very popular to begin with, so most of the sites applying to have their ads whitelisted are asking to whitelist Google ads, because that's what they have.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.