Indication for acceptable ads

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
fabp

Indication for acceptable ads

Post by fabp »

Hey,
dunno if this belongs here or in the dev subforum... Anyways:

IMO it would be appropriate to indicate if on the site you are currently viewing acceptable ads are "enabled".
Because currently it is not clear when you see an ad on site x whether it is "acceptable" or just not catched yet.

About the implementation, nothing fancy here. I would just go with a text in the tooltip (the one on hoovering over the icon), e.g.
"Acceptable ads on this page are enabled" or similar. Ideally of course it would state the number, e.g.:
"Showing # acceptable ads on this page".

For example, I currently have this Issue on ebay.de
https://reports.adblockplus.org/0c5b2b0 ... c6a18e7f1b
which I don't think fall into the acceptable ads, however I don't even know if there are (supposed to be) acceptable ads on this site or not.

cheers
fabp
mapx

Re: Indication for acceptable ads

Post by mapx »

-You are using the acceptable ads ("Allow some non-intrusive advertising " is checked)
-those ads are due to acceptable ads
-you can see the list here: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus. ... nrules.txt
fabp

Post by fabp »

Thx for your brief answer, however it is to brief for me:

1. Is this a question or a statement? (you are not using any punctuation, so it is not clear)
2. Which "those"?
3. A list sounsd always good, however I'm not a programmer, web developer or ... so the content isn't clear to me.
mapx

Post by mapx »

-it's a observation: you posted your report, if you see the subscriptions tab you'll see you are using acceptable ads
Anyway you can check your lists and the setting "allow some non intrusive advertising" (which can be unchecked if you want)
-"those" ads reported by you obviously (and highlighted in your report - screenshot tab)
-in that list search for "ebay.de" ==> it's there
fabp

Post by fabp »

Ah, ok your reply is only to the example/issue part of my post.

Ok, I see ebay.de in the list.
But as you can see on the screenshot there are some ads and some partially hidden, so it is not clear to me which ads are hidden/displayed, due to uncatched or accpeted.

Also (IF) the "Norisbank" and "Postbank" ad, IMHO doesn't qualify as acceptable ad (they aren't clearly recognised as ads) - but this should prolly go in a new thread then.
mapx

Post by mapx »

I reported the issue in the special forum Acceptable ads proposals
forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=29234
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

fabp wrote:IMO it would be appropriate to indicate if on the site you are currently viewing acceptable ads are "enabled".
Because currently it is not clear when you see an ad on site x whether it is "acceptable" or just not catched yet.

About the implementation, nothing fancy here. I would just go with a text in the tooltip (the one on hoovering over the icon), e.g.
"Acceptable ads on this page are enabled" or similar. Ideally of course it would state the number, e.g.:
"Showing # acceptable ads on this page".
Thanks for the suggestion. Generally, it does make sense to show that Acceptable Ads are shown but in practice it's a bit trickier. Stating that Acceptable Ads are shown on a page might give the impression that all ads you see on the page are Acceptable Ads. That, however, is not something we can always make sure is the case due to potentially outdated filters, software bugs or other issues that can lead to Adblock Plus unintentionally not blocking some ads.

Regarding the ad count the situation is even worse because we can only say how many requests were blocked and which filters were applied. Unfortunately, that's not enough information to tell exactly how many ads those requests created.