Different Ads for Adblock Plus users

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
adlerhn

Different Ads for Adblock Plus users

Post by adlerhn »

My website has an almost full-screen map, and a banner that shows ads relevant to the location of the map (https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... ads-adunit).

As such, it shows relevant ads to users, but to accomplish this, ads change sometimes when the user changes the location in the map. The alternative would be to show users static but generic (less relevant) ads.

Ads do change as a response of the user updating the location of the map, which may contradict Adblock's Acceptable Ads policy. So I am assessing showing Adblock Plus' users a dumbed-down version of the ads (more static albeit less relevant), so as to fit the Acceptable Ads criteria.

Is this possible at all? Detect via Javascript that the user is using Adblock Plus, and show more static ads instead.

I know how to detect an ad blocker in general, but this is under the assumption that these dumbed-down ads would not be blocked (so ad blocker detection would not work).
adlerhn

Re: Different Ads for Adblock Plus users

Post by adlerhn »

Or an alternative way of viewing this:

- Try to show the smart ad. Let Adblock block it.
- Detect that the smart ad was blocked, and add a dumb, static ad (which would be whitelisted as an acceptable ad).

Does this sound reasonable?
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Different Ads for Adblock Plus users

Post by greiner »

adlerhn wrote:Or an alternative way of viewing this:

- Try to show the smart ad. Let Adblock block it.
- Detect that the smart ad was blocked, and add a dumb, static ad (which would be whitelisted as an acceptable ad).

Does this sound reasonable?
It's quite common to adapt your site depending on the circumstances so your approach does sound reasonable.