Google Contributor

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
alexkrishnan

Google Contributor

Post by alexkrishnan »

Hello,

I just signed up for the Google Contributor program (contributor.google.com) that lets you pay money to google who will pay an advertiser directly instead of showing you an ad. I think the idea is pretty neat, because it allows me to get rid of ads while letting content creators get paid.

I am subscribed to the EasyList, but I would like to whitelist all Google ads (not just google text ads) since I won't see them anyway and the hits need to be logged for websites to get their $$. Right now I am also using the EasyList acceptable ads exception list, but ideally I would be able to only whitelist Google ads.

So far a manual rule list that I have come up with is
@@||google.com
@@||googleadservices.com
@@||gstatic.com
@@||doubleclick.net
@@||doubleclick.com
@@||admob.com
@@||adwords.com

Does anyone know of a pre-canned list I could subscribe to, or have suggestions as to what I should ad/remove? Thanks!
Noggie

Re: Google Contributor

Post by Noggie »

Sound like extortion to me in the manner you described it. Send money to the creator directly instead of letting an ad company and google get a cut. That is my recommendation and suggestion.
alexkrishnan

Post by alexkrishnan »

I understand the sentiment, but what you are suggesting is literally impossible. I can't just send a few cents to a content creator every time I view their website, but now Google is offering me a way to make sure that the people that create content that I like get a paycheck while sparing me from being bombarded with advertising. I can buy subscriptions to major publications to cut out the middleman like you suggest, but this is just not feasible for smaller content providers like independent comic artists, bloggers, etc. who already have a direct deposit set up with Google.
Unknown1

Post by Unknown1 »

You go Alex,

I have been wanting Google to offer a way for me to pay them for years! We are getting close with Contributor. The problem is I feel they need to offer a way to disable the adds on there search engine. My hope is that time will come. I also want to use add block to block all adds but Google. I am hoping that there are other lists out there or is the list you have provided the best you have found?

Noggie,

In regards to your comment. I do agree with Alex, the problem here is the website has made the decision to use Google as there ad source. And not donation based. So there is no option for us to pay them directly. I think google is on the correct path with this and I wish other add advertisers would do the same. Why should we expect to use servers such as google search, email, etc. Without paying them anything is just crazy! Then we attempt to block the only method that they have to make money. As far as I am concerned this is theft. I would love to here other workable options. But there does not seem to be any.
skateborden

Post by skateborden »

Hey Alex, I'd also like what you are describing, a filter list or easy way to set up custom filters to not block google ads for Google Contributor. One solution would be to whitelist sites that are part of the Contributor network that you want to support. Of course this would also let non-google ads run on those pages. Google doesn't have a public list of all the sites that are a part of the network but they mention Science Daily, WikiHow, and BrainyQuote on their troubleshooting page. I haven't been a contributor member long but so far I can see three sites on my dashboard that I've contributed to: nytimes.com, boingboing.net, and killscreendaily.com. I think I ran into these on my phone where I'm not blocking ads. So I added these sites to my custom filters like this:

@@||nytimes.com^$document
@@||boingboing.net^$document
@@||killscreendaily.com^$document

It's not perfect but it's the best I've found so far. If any other Contributor users want to list sites they've contributed to that we can whitelist that would be helpful.
treos

Post by treos »

this sounds little different from those "plans" lots of sites offer nowadays where you simply pay to get out of ads. said plans are basically the site owners/admin saying: one way or another we WILL get money out of YOU'RE wallets.

personally, i leave the acceptable ads active turned on and just regard those payment plans as mildly annoying spam at best. ignore 'em and move along and all that.

oh, FYI to anyone who might happen to visit/play games on the site: probably don't want to say you use adblock plus on the armorgames forum. unless they changed things after a while, that could get you banned (stupid i know but see my line at the top of this post).