Allow Independent Board to Decide Which Ads are acceptable

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
mapx

Allow Independent Board to Decide Which Ads are acceptable

Post by mapx »

Adblock Plus to Allow Independent Board to Decide Which Ads Are `Acceptable’

http://www.wsj.com/articles/adblock-plu ... 1443553201
lewisje

Re: Allow Independent Board to Decide Which Ads are acceptable

Post by lewisje »

(emphasis mine)
The board will include representatives from online publishers and media companies, marketers, advertising companies and consumers, an Eyeo spokesman said. It’s expected to be in place during the first half of 2016.
Adblock’s current requirements for “acceptable” advertising state that ads must not be “annoying,” must not disrupt or distort content on Web pages, are transparent about being paid placements, do not “shout” at users, and are “appropriate” to the sites on which they appear. The new independent review board will be given the freedom to alter these criteria as it sees fit, Eyeo said.
This sounds like a recipe for whitelisting all the things, but as long as the whitelist is optional it's fine with me.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Post by mapx »

see also
From the Manifesto to the Acceptable Ads Board
blog/from-the-manifesto-to-the-acceptable-ads-board
mapx

Post by mapx »

lewisje wrote:This sounds like a recipe for whitelisting all the things, but as long as the whitelist is optional it's fine with me.
see what Ben Williams responded to your concern:

blog/from-the-manifesto-to-the-acceptab ... rd#c005852
Reply from Ben Williams:

It’s not. The whole point is whitelisting only some of the things, the good things that is.

And let’s be clear: you will always be able to disable it.