Be more transparent about Acceptable Ads.

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Josephfurguson

Be more transparent about Acceptable Ads.

Post by Josephfurguson »

Can you please be transparent about the program. There's the suspicion that Google paid your company enough money to be placed on a permanent exception list. That's fine for Google, because doing that saved the company almost a billion dollars in youtube server costs alone. Which makes me wonder about the epiphany you had about blocking all ads in the first place. Suddenly, it is wrong for your adblock program to stop all advertisement and there should be some allowable content? Now, instead of letting every company into the program by default, only the ones that can pay your fee are placed on this exception list?

The allowable ads program is the wrong approach to do this. You should not state these companies are on this exception list because they "support unobtrusive ads," which is code for they are paying you a lot of money. You should not follow it up with "companies and websites can opt into the allowable ads program by doing this this and this." That's unfair to the smaller companies who can't afford to pay your fees, whatever they are.

You should let every website onto your acceptable ads program by default, from the companies that are willing to pay your fees to the ones that do not. That way it's fairer for the Internet as a whole. And it would be more in line with the philosophy this program supposedly promotes.

I am one of those people who support ads. I do not want websites I like going to struggle to stay afloat in the Internet your program created for them. However, I also think the users should decide what websites they allow ads on which ones they don't. If I tell your program not to let me see ads on reddit, google, or any other company in your program "I do not want to see ads on this site," that should be the end of the discussion.