Acceptable ads as API negotiation

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
sielay

Acceptable ads as API negotiation

Post by sielay »

Hi

My work is mostly about troubleshooting creatives, ad installations etc. Of course recently focus moved hugely to adblockers and I fully understand both sides (pissed off users and scared publishers). Personally I work on tool that can help some adops people (who rarely are technical chaps) to easily manage their portfolio. I wonder how community feel about API negotiation strategy rather than enforcement strategy. Let me describe you that on two examples:

Enforcement:
1. I place ads on page
2. User uses ABP
3. I detect ABP and show some information like "you don't love me ;((("
4. After some time ABP block that, so I do patch, and all over again

Negotiation:
1. I place ads on page
2. User uses ABP
3. I may detect ABP, but fortunately ABP used my exposed API to tell: Hi, I am ABP version X. My user allows only acceptable ads.
4. Knowing that I show only acceptable ads, log only fact there was such request (as ABP told me user don't like trackers which steal his identity)
5. If at some point someone figure out that someone (even I forced them to comply with given guidelines) finds a gaps and bypass adblocker with my software - I give ability for community to report and I take down such advertiser ASAP.

Would you as community be open for such form of cooperation. I know ads can be annoying. I also worry (even more about trackers). But with some bit of transparency and control from the group, I don't think giving alternative would hurt anyone?

P.S. I saw some companies going in the same direction and trying to cooperate. Recently one of them got compromised and served malware ads. Do you think that can be caused by someone from community and do you as community agree with such moves?

P.S. 2 sorry for naive statements on questions. I ask, as I know some people know better.
lewisje

Re: Acceptable ads as API negotiation

Post by lewisje »

sielay wrote:I saw some companies going in the same direction and trying to cooperate. Recently one of them got compromised and served malware ads. Do you think that can be caused by someone from community and do you as community agree with such moves?
Are you asking whether one of us compromised an ad network to serve malvertising? :roll:
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
sielay

Post by sielay »

lewisje wrote:
sielay wrote:I saw some companies going in the same direction and trying to cooperate. Recently one of them got compromised and served malware ads. Do you think that can be caused by someone from community and do you as community agree with such moves?
Are you asking whether one of us compromised an ad network to serve malvertising? :roll:
Less I ask. More I say some people tried to blame ABP and other blockers for that. But that was just remark attached to main question.
sielay

Post by sielay »

No comments?