GIFs, Videos and audios, with autoplay=0, should be accepted

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Michel Merlin

Post by Michel Merlin »

In the Which ads are "acceptable"? list, the 2 1st lines read:
  • Static advertisements only (no animations, sounds or similar)
  • Preferably text only, no attention-grabbing images
I think these rules are excellent. However, once accepted and actually applied, the advertizer could be allowed IMO to complete his ad with a PLAY-PAUSE button that would be obviously visible, quite clearly and specifically for that ad, and initially OFF (i.e. PAUSED, as stated by an HTML attribute "autoplay=0").

IOW, an "attention-grabbing" image or video or sound is NOT a problem for me, and probably for anyone, provided it plays NO sound or animated image on its own. IOW, every animated GIF or video or sound MUST have its own PLAY-PAUSE button, and that button MUST be initially OFF. That rule should be applied unconditionally all over the net, and not only for ads.

BTW I support ABP's current projects about ads on the net. Now while waiting for the eventual results, the net continues to be full of intrusive advertising or editorial intentional disruptions, so I continue to run ABP (and other nuisance blockers like the most restrictive options in Chrome Settings) with no option or exception.

Versailles, Sun 29 Nov 2015 20:33:00 +0100