Question Regarding New Acceptable Ads Standards

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Nova7ny

Question Regarding New Acceptable Ads Standards

Post by Nova7ny »

Why would a Google Adsense 300x250 set to text only be blocked but a similar sized Amazon Associates Text Link ad not? They would both seem to me to follow the standards. Am I missing something?
mapx

Re: Question Regarding New Acceptable Ads Standards

Post by mapx »

example page(s) ?
Nova7ny

Post by Nova7ny »

I don't have any URL's I was testing out my accounts on a local test page with the ABP on and off to see what would happen.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Maybe Amazon Associates didn't apply; ads are added to the whitelist manually, on a case-by-case basis, because Eyeo can't automatically determine whether any random ad is acceptable.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Nova7ny

Post by Nova7ny »

Amazon works so I assume they applied and were accepted. Google does not. So while I know they have worked with Acceptable Ads it has to do with how their code works and ABP not being able to sense Text vs Image. Is that correct?

Why would Google not produce a new code version which is easily identifiable as text only? I know they have Search Ads but you can only use that on certain pages.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I had misread the OP, sorry; I too am surprised that Google's text ads weren't showing with the whitelist, because Google was an early Acceptable Ads partner.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Nova7ny

Post by Nova7ny »

No worries I got your meaning. It still seems to me that these new standards are really broad and somewhat meaningless when at the core theres a technical component that also needs to be addressed and made obvious. You can meet all the requirements but if your JS looks just like something else thats on the block list then you are screwed. How are Google and others leaving all this potential revenue on the table? It seems like an endless potential stream of sites that are going to need to submit for approval constantly.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Nova7ny wrote:You can meet all the requirements but if your JS looks just like something else thats on the block list then you are screwed.
If an ad matches the Acceptable Ads whitelist, that overrides the blocklists.
Nova7ny

Post by Nova7ny »

Ok well thats not active right now since there are existing blocks in easylist for ads that would fall under those criteria. As a perfect example Amazon Associates ads have 300x250 static image ads for Amazon Prime etc. Those will be blocked by ABP and AdBlock. I saw this yesterday via test pages. The only ad we could get to run from associates was a generic text link which is obvious because its simple text with a click through link.