Acceptable ads by provider

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
vt_mruhlin

Acceptable ads by provider

Post by vt_mruhlin »

With an increasing number of sites putting up content walls telling me to disable adblock to use the site, I've been making efforts to contact the sites and tell them to get on the Acceptable Ads program.

What I find a little strange about the program is that it apparently works by whitelisting indvidual web sites, not the ad hosts or providers. The primary reason why I block ads is the problem of malicious people buying ad space and serving up viruses in the guise of ads. AbBlock is a crude solution to that problem, but it works.

A better solution would be for the ad networks themselves to police and limit the types of content advertisers can serve. You get a static or mildly animated image, but no flash or javascript. If an ad network agreed to those terms, AdBlock could whitelist their ads on every site and I'd be ok with that.

There could still be issues with where the individual site chooses to place an ad on their page, but that's not as big of a concern for me. What do y'all think?
lewisje

Re: Acceptable ads by provider

Post by lewisje »

Look up the term "sitekey" and your questions will be answered.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.