Merkel Seeks to Ban Advert Blockers to Save Establishment Me

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Greycoat

Merkel Seeks to Ban Advert Blockers to Save Establishment Me

Post by Greycoat »

Have you all seen this? Merkel infuriates me for many reasons. I looked on the forum & saw no mention of this. I'm not located in Germany, but still hate the direction I sense things are going. :x

An excerpt:
After Chancellor Merkel intervened, however, the report on media convergence added a chapter on how newspapers could protect themselves against advertising blockers. The report deemed “legal provisions necessary” on the web browser extensions and software.

The media and advertising bodies argued that Germans are “not entitled to free information” so they should either pay to read mainstream advertisers’ websites or “tolerate” advertising.

While advertising blockers are already considered illegal, according to Golem, in order for the laws to be activated the commission advised that there should be a “legal and media policy requirement for a statutory prohibition of ad blockers”.

The report recommends that Germany implements geoblocking software. This would bar Germans from downloading ad blocking programs, and would bar them from adding advert-blocking browser add-ons.
Source: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... ve-papers/
lewisje

Re: Merkel Seeks to Ban Advert Blockers to Save Establishment Me

Post by lewisje »

The only Anglophone source I've found is Breitbart, which is immediately suspect; also, the article it links to (on a site that is IIRC more respectable, but also in German) doesn't quite appear to say that Merkel is trying to ban ad-blockers, just that she and other heads of state have had input into a particular report.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.